Hyundai Bayon - Repeater light confusion - johnmazda

Little confused by this scenario here -

A214

maps.app.goo.gl/sWCtX71EHZU9Nrxb7

You have a primary traffic light and then a repeater light around 2/3m ahead. So what if you went through the primary light on green or orange but then just before you get to the repeater light, it turns red. Do you have to stop? No traffic light cameras or anything but this is confusing to me. As you can see on the map of the location, there is a stop line at the repeater light which indicates you should stop...? However, as you can also see there is traffic turning into the road from the right and obviously they don't have to stop. So how does this work?

5 Streatham Common N

maps.app.goo.gl/EeinpvWza5bR6gE38 - isn't that a STOP line? It's faded but looks like it...?

Edited by johnmazda on 30/07/2023 at 13:51

Hyundai Bayon - Repeater light confusion - Adampr

If you drive through a green light, another one 3m ahead is not going to turn red before you pass it. It might if you drive through amber, but the easy answer is to not drive through amber lights. I don't know if it's the law, but it's certainly good practice not to enter a pedestrian crossing unless the exit is clear.

For what it's worth, traffic joining from the right will have to obey the signal as much as everyone else

If you drive through a green light, another one 3m ahead is not going to turn red before you pass it. It might if you drive through amber, but the easy answer is to not drive through amber lights. I don't know if it's the law, but it's certainly good practice not to enter a pedestrian crossing unless the exit is clear.

For what it's worth, traffic joining from the right will have to obey the signal as much as everyone else

Sorry my calculation was way off. If you look in the example in my OP with the map links you'll see it's more like 10m plus between the primary traffic light and the repeater light. So even if I had passed the primary light on green, the repeater light could have turned orange whilst I was in that "area" which meant I would have had to stop anyway. Traffic from the right can ignore the repeater light, definitely which is why I was wondering if I could do too. I believe so otherwise I would cause a tailback surely. As I said no cameras here as I said but good to know

If you're talking about the set of lights before the junction and the set of lights after the junction, they're not related. The lights before are for the junction, the lights after are for the crossing.

You stop at a red light on the crossing regardless 0f the previous signal. As before, the same will apply to traffic joining from the right.

Hyundai Bayon - Repeater light confusion - Chris M

"they're not related"

Oh yes they are. Why else would they have a straight ahead and a right turn green light?

"they're not related"

Oh yes they are. Why else would they have a straight ahead and a right turn green light?

To allow the joining traffic a break to do so and likewise for traffic training right.

Those aren't repeater lights; it's a pedestrian crossing.

Hyundai Bayon - Repeater light confusion - Chris M

My guess is that for pedestrians to get the green light to cross, traffic from all directions will be on red, so traffic from the right wouldn't be turning right if the light in question was red. Hope that makes sense.

For the OP, I wouldn't stop if the light turned red whilst I was between lights, unless pedestrians were waiting to cross, in which case I probably would, just in case. Might add a minute to the journey.

My guess is that for pedestrians to get the green light to cross, traffic from all directions will be on red, so traffic from the right wouldn't be turning right if the light in question was red. Hope that makes sense.

For the OP, I wouldn't stop if the light turned red whilst I was between lights, unless pedestrians were waiting to cross, in which case I probably would, just in case. Might add a minute to the journey.

Hi Chris, yes exactly that's what I was thinking however why I thought they were separate lights like what Adam is saying, was because there was a stop line at the repeater light as well. So it's a little confusing.

Hyundai Bayon - Repeater light confusion - Bromptonaut

Doing the best I can from the Streetview - it's a bit difficult cos the camera vehicle appears to do a wiggle crossing - it's a straightforward T junction with repeater lights. I think the fact that second set replicate the left/straight on filters confirm they're repeaters. One couls of course confirm that they're paired by observation but I don't think there's any doubt.

Approaching it either way on the A214, across the top of the T, there's a clear stop line with an advanced box for cyclists. From where the OP's fist link starts here are pedestrian lights just beyond the repeater. There's also a ped facility on the 'leg' of the T.

I would expect the filters to do either or both of two things; (a) protect peds using the crossings and/or (b) protect right turning vehicles.

Appreciate your analysis. Yes has to be a repeater otherwise both the traffic going straight and the traffic turning right would only be able to go if the repeater light was green, at the same time which would obviously cause chaos!

So if you got past the first light fine before the red and then the repeater light was turning from orange to red, you would be fine to keep going. If not you'd block traffic coming from the right...

Is that correct?

Edited by johnmazda on 30/07/2023 at 17:53

I think I'm not seeing a set of lights.