Ford Focus 2016 Petrol - Front fog lights - Kevin M.

Hi

I have received a rental car for work from my employer. The car was previosusly used by another member of staff who has now left. One of the front fog lights has a broken glass cover although the bulb still works.

Is it legal to drive it with broken glass cover?

Thanks

Kevin M

Ford Focus 2016 Petrol - Front fog lights - Adampr

Yes. As it's pre-2018, front fogs are not required

Ford Focus 2016 Petrol - Front fog lights - Kevin M.

Brilliant.

Thank for the quick reply.!

Ford Focus 2016 Petrol - Front fog lights - Engineer Andy

Yes. As it's pre-2018, front fogs are not required

I wasn't aware that front fogs were 'required' at all, whether pre or post 2018. Do you mean it is only after 2018 that cars built after that date are covered by the MOT for their road worthiness? Or perhaps the very similar in placement / look daylight running lights?

My 2005 built Mazda3's front left fog had a crack in the lens for a few years and always passed its MOT (the light did still illuminate, not that I every needed to use it during that time). I only recently replaced the unit on mine becase the crack developed into a hole, though the lamp still worked.

The OP may be lucky to source the housing (including lens) and have the existing bulb / wiring refitted at a slightly lower cost than the entire unit, which for what you get isn't cheap. Most dealerships will charge at least an hour's labour plus part(s), which is likely to set the OP back £250+ for an entire replacement, perhaps about £175 if they can source the housing (incl. lens) only via a decent pattern parts seller / ebay and have it fitted at an indie.

For mine,you have the choice of going through the wheel well (which I was told 'could' be done but could break bits by doing so [was cheaper in terms of time spent]) or the 'manufacturer's recommended' way by taking the front bumper off.

All that for just the need to replace a cracked lens on a non-MOT item (at least on my car).

Ford Focus 2016 Petrol - Front fog lights - elekie&a/c doctor
Front fog lights are not a legal requirement at all . However, if fitted on cars registered from march 2018 , they are tested as part of the mot .
Ford Focus 2016 Petrol - Front fog lights - galileo

The o/p says it has a broken glass, this could be regarded as a danger to pedestrians so either replace it or remove the fog lamp.

Ford Focus 2016 Petrol - Front fog lights - Bromptonaut

Short answer is that as it's a rental car provided through the employer then if you're worried get the hire company to sort it.

OTOH if you're that unlucky that you are going to be booked for a cracked fog light lens keep your eyes open and your wits about you....

Ford Focus 2016 Petrol - Front fog lights - Andrew-T

The o/p says it has a broken glass, this could be regarded as a danger to pedestrians so either replace it or remove the fog lamp.

Probably a lesser danger than the whole vehicle .... :-)

Ford Focus 2016 Petrol - Front fog lights - Gerry Sanderson

Careful Adam

If the broken glass has jagged edges that protrude beyond the body line so that anyone brushing across it can injure them selves then it is an offence under con and use regs parts and accessories in such condition as likely to cause danger.

personally i would get if fixed new glass from a scraooer

dvd

Ford Focus 2016 Petrol - Front fog lights - Andrew-T

If the broken glass has jagged edges that protrude beyond the body line so that anyone brushing across it can injure them selves then it is an offence under con and use regs parts and accessories in such condition as likely to cause danger.

personally i would get if fixed new glass from a sc***per

If the lamp is not needed for MoT, duck-tape over the jagged edge may be enough.