Fiat 500 - Garage didn’t register my name to car - Serena Giron
Hi,

Just looking for some advice.

I purchased with 0 deposit a car on finance back in august. First time buying a car. It was second hand 2019 Fiat 500. I bought it from a reputable dealer with many Branches throughout the north.

It came with 1 year tax paid by the garage. I never received any documents through the post after although I enquired why and they said everything was in hand. I went online to check when the MOT was due and it said my car was untaxed. I phoned up the dealership and enquired why and they fobbed me off saying that they were only taxing it for 6 months. Which means I have been driving around without tax for 5 months! I said I had never received any documents through the post ( which would explain no reminder letters from DVLA) they said I must have done and said they had done everything correct at their end.

I then phoned the DVLA and they confirmed that the car had never been registered to my name! It was still in the previous owners name. Legally I can’t drive my car and as I work as a home carer I need it everyday.

After contacting the garage again today I finally got through to someone helpful and he looked in to it. He admitted it was indeed an error on their part and it had never been registered. They are trying to get through to the previous owner for the log book so it can be taxed but no joy.

Please can someone offer me some advice as to what I should do amd how I should deal with the dealership at this point. I am clueless. Should I be demanding a refund for the money I have paid monthly on credit as I have been paying it when the car isn’t even mine!

Many thanks in advance
Fiat 500 - Garage didn’t register my name to car - elekie&a/c doctor
The car may not be registered to you , but you have been using it . I presume it’s insured and has a valid mot . Don’t think you can ask for any refund . I would apply for a replacement log book as soon as possible. Think it’s £25 ? . Get the dealer to organise it and pay for it . I would ask for some compensation for the inconvenience.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 29/06/2023 at 19:24

Thank you so much. Yes it has insurance and valid MOT but I guess the insurance wouldn’t be valid anyway as it’s not registered to me. How much compensation would you ask for? Thanks
Fiat 500 - Garage didn’t register my name to car - Adampr

Not being registered to you doesn't really matter. I suppose you should check that your insurance doesn't state that you have to be the registered keeper. As you have bought the car, just ask the DVLA for a new log book. As for compensation, maybe see if you can get a service?

They have said they haven’t been able to get in contact with previous owner so I can’t get a new log book until this happens! It will also take at least 4 weeks to get a new one once I apply.
They have said they haven’t been able to get in contact with previous owner so I can’t get a new log book until this happens! It will also take at least 4 weeks to get a new one once I apply.

Did they give you the green 'new keeper' slip when you bought the car? Sometimes stapled to the invoice or stuck in the book pack.

No nothing!
No nothing!

I suggest you call your insurance company tomorrow and explain the situation. There may be an additional premium to pay as you're not the registered keeper, but I would expect them to agree to a grace period whilst you get it sorted.

I'd be tempted to go to the dealer and ask to speak to their MD/Head of Business/whatever they call them to ask what they're going to do to sort it out. Don't bother with the sales people as they don't care.

Don't accept all this stuff about the previous owner. Give them a deadline to fix it or buy the car back from you. They won't, of course, but you have to make a bit of a fuss or they'll never deal with it.

Fiat 500 - Garage didn’t register my name to car - Brit_in_Germany

As the car is not taxed, get the garage to pick it up and store. Also, they need to confirm that they will bear the responsibility for a non-taxed car not being declared SORN.

Fiat 500 - Garage didn’t register my name to car - elekie&a/c doctor
“Came with one year tax paid by the dealer “ so says the OP .
Fiat 500 - Garage didn’t register my name to car - sammy1

You need to get a form V62 from the post office. Fill it out and take the Insurance certificate MOT and the invoice from the dealer together with a fee of £25.. You will need a post office that deals with car tax.. you should be able to pay the tax with the PO, check before going.

Otherwise you will have to wait for the dealer to find the V5 from the previous owner which the dealer has probably lost has he should have had it when he took the car in part ex. Failing this you will have to for the DVLA but you still need to send them a V62. If one PO will not tax it straight away another might. Find out how much the car tax is and claim all your costs of the dealer. I am surprised they did not advise you to try this

You need to get a form V62 from the post office. Fill it out and take the Insurance certificate MOT and the invoice from the dealer together with a fee of £25.. You will need a post office that deals with car tax.. you should be able to pay the tax with the PO, check before going.

Otherwise you will have to wait for the dealer to find the V5 from the previous owner which the dealer has probably lost has he should have had it when he took the car in part ex. Failing this you will have to for the DVLA but you still need to send them a V62. If one PO will not tax it straight away another might. Find out how much the car tax is and claim all your costs of the dealer. I am surprised they did not advise you to try this

I don't think you can use a V62 unless you have the New Keeper slip.

Fiat 500 - Garage didn’t register my name to car - sammy1

I don't think you can use a V62 unless you have the New Keeper slip.

""""Car tax | Help and support | Post Office®

They should tax it With the correct info as above the V62 still applies for a new V5

Fiat 500 - Garage didn’t register my name to car - Chris M

The notes (Section F) on the V62 form state "If you are not the registered keeper of the vehicle you may not be able to tax until you get a V5C in your name."

There's no way I'd be getting the dealer to sort the mess out. They have already proved their incompetence. The OP should sort it themselves then contact the dealer requesting (firmly) a refund of the costs involved and some form of compensation e.g. a service.

Edited by Chris M on 30/06/2023 at 17:33

Fiat 500 - Garage didn’t register my name to car - Brit_in_Germany

They were meant to tax it but didn't - the OP says they have been driving round for 5 months without tax.

Fiat 500 - Garage didn’t register my name to car - Miniman777
“Came with one year tax paid by the dealer “ so says the OP .

She also said reputable dealer…. Lol