Am I at fault? - MayB
I was at the end of my street indicating to turn left. I looked left and further down the road was a car coming up, I looked right and there were no cars coming down - so I’ve gone to pull out and turn left but as I’ve set off the car coming up is suddenly right in front of my car, on my side of the road! So I broke, and she got out of her car to say I needed to read the Highway Code, she was apparently overtaking some parked cars that were further up ahead. My argument was that she was on my side of the road and she shouldn’t have moved over to my side of the road so early, as the parked cars were further up. If I usually drive up that road I drive up to the parked cars and then around if clear. I would never move into the wrong lane so far ahead of the parked cars. So apparently it was my fault, even though I looked both ways - when I looked her way she was in the correct lane and a distance back - I wasn’t to know she would suddenly move over into my lane. When I looked both times it was clear for me to go, until she moved into my lane.
Just to prove my point even more, after she left, a small van came up, never once did he move on to the wrong side of the road, he drove up to the parked cars and then went around.
Just want to know peoples opinions as I believe I wasn’t at fault, but she was so adamant the blame was on me.
Am I at fault? - _

Yes, you were at fault.

Check for traffic both directions, but check again..it catches out lots of people.

If there was no contact and no claim, learn to assume that nobody can be trusted.

And buy a fashcam I have front and rear.

Am I at fault? - MaisB
Sorry, I’ve had to make a separate account as it won’t let me log into my original to reply. I did look both ways twice, as I started to pull out she’s moved over to my lane in front of me, when I looked the first time she was further down the road on her side. Second time I looked she was in her lane and as I’ve set off she’s moved over in front of my car. On the wrong side of the road. I did everything I could have done or at least I think I did. When I set off my lane was clear, no one was coming down and my lane wasn’t obstructed until the last few seconds. Will definitely think about a dashcam and be extra cautious at that junction next time! Thanks

Edited by MaisB on 16/06/2023 at 18:18

Am I at fault? - Bromptonaut

No actual contact between your cars but rather a near miss with a bit of 'verbals' from driver on the road you're joining.

Is that right?

This is near me. Cars coming from the left often run wide on a 'racing line' so halfway onto their offside lane.

Wits all about and creeping out whilst watching both ways are 'de rigeur'.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 16/06/2023 at 18:27

Am I at fault? - mickyh7

It's better to be annoyed and alive, rather than 'In the right and dead'.

Lots of mouthy cyclists with broken legs because of this.

Treat every other road user as an accident waiting to happen.

The roads are full of t*****s, just quietly laugh at them, do your own thing and be stress free.

Oh, and alive!

Edited by mickyh7 on 12/07/2023 at 11:33

Am I at fault? - Catfood

That's so true.

The gospel of the road....