Skoda Octavia - Used car sale - W Montgomery

Hi

Looking for some advice. Sold daughters used 64 reg car online. In advert I declared it was a cat N and had needed airbag. Age related marks. Had receipts for work recently done. I was honest in what I knew about car. A fault was rectified when it was spotted by a potential buyer. I took advert off so I could rectify. This buyer had been in touch and already had offered way below what I was looking for. To cut a long story short. He kept bombarding me with messages to buy car. Anyway agreed price he was told not to drive the 4 or so hours for car and then try and cut me down again. Which he did. I took another 100 pounds off car as he pointed out a cracked lense on light I hadn't said in advert. I honestly hadn't deliberately left that out. He drove the car the 4 hours back home.no issues. And now I am getting bombarded with txts that I didn't tell him about a light being off behind dashboard. I didn't know it was off!!

He is threatening to report me for selling car and not declaring light was off.

This is all for a car I sold for 2000 pounds well 1900 as he cut me down again.

Thing is he can be doing all sorts to car and blame for it.

I have all his txts etc.

Anyone know my rights against him if he keeps this up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wilma

Edited by W Montgomery on 04/02/2023 at 05:32

Skoda Octavia - Used car sale - Falkirk Bairn

Private sale - he bought the car as seen - you have no liability unless you lied in the description - e.g. Said it had done 60K knowing it had had the odometer had been reset and the true mileage was 90K

Skoda Octavia - Used car sale - Adampr

He's some kind of dodgy trader trying to maximise his profit. Send him a message saying that this was a private sale and that you won't be entering into any further correspondence. Tell.him that you consider any further contact to be harassment, then block his number.

If he contacts you again, it will be a criminal offence, but I doubt he will.

As for 'reporting' you, to whom and for what?

Skoda Octavia - Used car sale - W Montgomery

Hi

Thanks to both of you for replies. I advertised car as honestly as I could. I did not know about light behind dashboard. Not something I would look at. When he came he tried to drop agreed price by 500 pounds. All because he didnt think the airbag was going to be as bad as it is!

I advertised it as needing a new airbag I didn't say how bad it was or wasn't. Just it needed new one.

(Monday I'll go to garage to see whats wrong with that light, and then im going to report you i got your adrress)

That was his messege a day after buying car and He drove the car home which was a 4 hour journey, No issues with that. They were all over car picking up on slightest mark on it. I did say age related marks advertised plainly it was a cat N

My last txt to him in which I clearly stated ok he could have the car for 2000 no more cutting down and car sold as seen.

I said sold as seen as I didn't want him nick picking on everything to get price down again.

But as I said he kept trying and trying.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest a bit.

Wilma

Skoda Octavia - Used car sale - Andrew-T

If you sell another car, you should give the buyer a formal receipt for the agreed amount, stating the details (reg, year etc) and that it is sold 'as seen', free of outstanding payments and without warranty. (I learnt that basic formula in 1964 when I bought my first vehicle as an independent person).

There should be no comeback after that, especially if you keep a copy for yourself.

Edit - what does he mean by 'airbag as bad as it is' ? Has he tested it ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/02/2023 at 18:18