penalty notice - leftfield lenny

A firm that I work for for over 18 months now allows it's employees to use a privately patrolled car park, I've used it since being employed by them in May 2021. In June 2021 I put my then car on my personal number plate and duly informed them. As and when required I also updated them if I used either my wife's or daughters cars.

In June last year my then car was written off, but I replaced it in July and had my personal number plate allocated to the car in August. However, in December 2022 a penalty notice was placed on my car for not being registered and entitled to use the car park. When I bought this to the attention of my manager, he said that he would look into it. He came back a few days later with the answer that "My registration number had been entered wrongly, but ignore any proceeding action"

A letter eventually arrived in January regarding illegal parking and for me to pay a £100 fine. My manager has told me to ignore it as it's not enforceable, I work for the company and I'm entitled to use the car park and, bearing how long the registration number has been used by myself it's no stranger to being in the car park, their wardens surely must have seen my car there before and had no problem with its presence, my car is a distinctive make and colour, It's the only one of two in my home town and mine has very distinctive alloys on it.

The question that I'm asking is, is he correct? The other person who had this issue who worked for them was a agency worker who they used sporadically, he just ignored the parking penalty notices letters until the car park patrolling company gave up. Also his car was worth nowhere near what mine is, they probably saw no financial gain in pursuing him, whereas they may feel different about myself. What is my position legally? As far as I'm concerned I've done nothing wrong.

Edited by leftfield lenny on 24/01/2023 at 17:40

penalty notice - skidpan

Why ask again?

Not happy with the previous answers?

penalty notice - Crickleymal

I thought I'd read this recently too.

I haven't seen a reply, that's why, I saw no proof that my initial post had gone up and I've also added more details.

Edited by leftfield lenny on 26/01/2023 at 06:23

penalty notice - Xileno

Unnecessary comments removed. Apologies if anything of value has got deleted.

There is an intermittent glitch that surfaces where recent posts do not appear for some time after they've been posted. I've not known it to create a delay of more than a few hours though. One theory is it may be related to cache - so maybe try clearing that out if you still can't see the original thread here

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/173664/penalty-not...e

Edited by Xileno on 26/01/2023 at 14:31

penalty notice - Xileno

Originally posted by sammy1 at 12:15

"Clearly your company must be on good terms with the neighbouring firm to let you park there. Can you not persuade your company to have a word

I have always ignored these private parking demands when I have been caught out and so far not had a problem. They are very intimidating I have been asked for £100 for about 5 minutes overstay with a £40 discount if paid within 14days. Then some £170 demanded and then £240 and than back to £140. Clearly trying it on. I wonder what a fair judge in a county court would think of this practice"

penalty notice - Bromptonaut

I wonder what a fair judge in a county court would think of this practice"

The law here was spelled out by the Supreme Court in a case called Beavis:

www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2013-0280-pres...f

In short the assumption is that someone parking on private land with well signed terms for (eg) shoppers only for max 2 hours and who overstays has agreed to a contract where they will pay the penalty on the sign. At some point the charges may be unfair but not if they are consistent with penalties for overstaying etc on council car parks.

A County Court Judge would be bound by Beavis. That's not to say that a defence around poor signage etc would not succeed. So might one contesting a 'gotcha' where one enters the site and is charged without the opportunity to have seen signs and, as it were, accepted or rejected the contract.

There is some anecdotal evidence that Judges are giving short shrift to defendants quoting outdated (pre Beavis) stuff or who are otherwise following some old tut they've found on the internet.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 27/01/2023 at 11:06

Thank you. The last person that I know who was ticketed ignored all of their requests to pay a fine. They eventually ceased in their efforts to extract money from him. Then again, I haven't seen him for a while.

Thank you for replying. My manager said to ignore them. If they persist I will take the matter up with the area manager, he's the one that manages all of the contracts. If this car park company only checks the car park every six months or so before realising that my employer or a clerk has inputted my registration number incorrectly, then they're not really worthwhile retaining, are they?