SEAT Leon Cupra - Mot passed, shouldn't of. Caused accident. - ButterB

Hi all, looking for advice. My car passed its MOT less than two months ago, only advisories were a couple tyres.

Driving yesterday with the wife and 7 month old baby in the car, and the wheel got dragged underneath the car as the wishbone was so severely corroded it failed and snapped. This caused the car to slide on a main road, luckily we were all okay.

My question is what should I do now? What is the law regarding this if anyone knows?
Obviously the garage is at fault for passing the car when it shouldn't have been passed - that amount of corrosion can no way happen within 2 months.

SEAT Leon Cupra - Mot passed, shouldn't of. Caused accident. - Gerry Sanderson

Report to VOSA

www.gov.uk/guidance/report-an-mot-tester

dvd

SEAT Leon Cupra - Mot passed, shouldn't of. Caused accident. - Andrew-T

As a matter of interest, how old is this car ? How were you driving at the time ? I would have thought that a car which failed as yours did, would have failed when given the proper MoT test treatment ?

SEAT Leon Cupra - Mot passed, shouldn't of. Caused accident. - bathtub tom

The MOT tester could claim that on the day of the test it was perfectly safe.They're not allowed to probe with a screwdriver and may only use hand pressure) I believe.

Had the OP had an incident before the failure that could have precipitated the the failure?

SEAT Leon Cupra - Mot passed, shouldn't of. Caused accident. - focussed

"If your vehicle has passed but you do not think it should have, you need to report this to the DVSA within 3 months of the test if the fault is a corrosion-related problem"

www.themotorombudsman.org/knowledge-base/what-to-d...t