Wines for Christmas - Xileno

I'm not a wine drinker, my favourite tipple is Abbot Ale or 6X. However, I've agreed to provide four bottles for Christmas day, two of each colour. I was in Sainsbury's today, the range was overwhelming and a huge difference in price. I didn't know where to start. Can anyone provide any recommendations? I have no idea what the price should be, is a tenner a bottle too cheap? Most of the supermarkets are accessible to me, including Lidl and Aldi. Many thanks :-)

Wines for Christmas - FP

I'm by no means a connoisseur, but I buy the occasional French red from Waitrose or Sainsbury's at around £7 a bottle (or cheaper if on special offer), purely on a hunch, preferring strong dark reds from southern France. Mostly I think what I buy is more than OK, but no doubt others would dismiss me as a cheapskate.

I would have thought that £10 a bottle would get you something fairly decent.

You could always get some advice from somewhere like Majestic Wine.

Wines for Christmas - badbusdriver

My mother likes her wine, but she is too much of a grip to spend £10 on a bottle!. I haven't bought wine for myself for donkeys years, more or less t total these days, but I don't really think you need to spend as much as £10 on a bottle. I often will buy for my mother and I know her favourite white wines are Wairau Cove Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc from Tesco (not sure if you get it anywhere else). She usually drinks white but she has tried and liked also the sole red offering from Wairau Cove of Merlot (weirdly she doesn't like their Chardonnay though). But she only asks me to get them if they are on special (usually £7.50-8), otherwise I will get bottles around £5!. Never had anything she has specifically asked me not to get again (apart from the aforementioned Chardonnay).

There was a few of Lidl's wines that she liked but the only one who's name I can remember is Pedro Jiminez (because she called it Pedro Jimmy).

In this country, most folk think and assume that the more you spend on a bottle of wine, the better it will be. But that isn't necessarily the case, in fact often the reverse is true!.

Wines for Christmas - Ethan Edwards

I'm sure Wine experts will sniff but I like a US wine White Zinfandel contrary to its name its a very palatable Rose. That and Portuguese Rioja. As for white I have no preferences. I do like wines from the new world. Australia/ NZ and also Chile. But essentially if you like it then its fine. Ignore the snobs who insist on only French wine from the left slopes of certain valleys etc.

Wines for Christmas - Adampr

If you buy a Pinot Noir from the Marlborough region of New Zealand, you won't go wrong.

Wines for Christmas - focussed

Despite living in France for 13 years, I confess I'm no wine expert.

I just drink what I like now, having been caught out in the past by recommendations of very tannic, heavy reds which I really don't like, but the French go for.

Our current house wine here is :-

www.vieuxpapes.com/en/nos-vins/vieux-papes-origina...e

Tesco - www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/312559766

Easy drinking, fruity, not too heavy, goes with any meal except fish,(please don't drink red wine with fish!)

We pay about a tenner for a 5 litre wine box of it over here.

And if you like a refreshing white, Comte Tolosan is a good 'un, but be careful it varies in taste and acidity. We pay about €2.20 a bottle here.

MOH has Italian roots so the Multipulciano red is not bad, goes well with pasta or gnocchi.

Sante !

Wines for Christmas - Brit_in_Germany

You can cut down the choice by going for their own lable bottles, for Sainsburys choose their taste the difference range. For the red a Malbec and a Aus. Shiraz, for example.

Many thanks for the advice. I've got to go back to Sainsbury's later so I will have another look. I'm quite happy not to spend a tenner but also don't want people turning their noses up on Christmas day! I've not been to Tesco for ages either, it's not so convenient, but I will have a look there as well.

Wines for Christmas - Andrew-T

Any responsible newspaper will have shown a buyer's list of red or white from about £5 upwards. One or two from Aldi got an accolade for not much more than that. I suppose Christmas will always expect a bottle but there are boxes too = 3 bottles-worth.

Is this commission of yours for home consumption, or something else ?

Family consumption on Christmas day. Alas I will be driving so will not be drinking. Well maybe one pint during the day but that will be it.

Wines for Christmas - Crickleymal

Lidl have a good selection too. I haven't yet tried any but they have a special section of , what I presume are, better quality wines.

I was back in Sainsbury's today so took the plunge and did it. I wanted to get to Tesco but the side roads are still quite slippery, not worth the risk when I can walk to Sainsbury's.

I bought 2 McGuigan Cabernet Sauvignon and 2 Chardonnay Barosa Riverland. Both Australian and on offer at £7 for the red and £6 for the white.

Hopefully they are good!

Wines for Christmas - Andrew-T

I was back in Sainsbury's today so took the plunge and did it. I wanted to get to Tesco but the side roads are still quite slippery, not worth the risk when I can walk to Sainsbury's.

I bought 2 McGuigan Cabernet Sauvignon and 2 Chardonnay Barosa Riverland. Both Australian and on offer at £7 for the red and £6 for the white.

Hopefully they are good!

I think there is a good chance that you won't be able to tell that they're not :-)

Wines for Christmas - Bromptonaut

If I want a bottle of something dependable the various whites and reds sold under the Yellowtail brand are a reasonable bargain. Though if I was looking for a really good wine to go with Xmas dinner I'd pay up for a Chateau Neuf du Papes or similar.

Wines for Christmas - focussed

To quaff with our ribeye roast this Christmas I shall be raising a glass of Gulden Draak. I think a decent beer goes better with roast beef than a red wine - it's a personal thing!

://www.guldendraak.be/en

We can get this nectar from heaven 2 or 3 times a year from our local Lidl, so I always have a few cases of it stashed away in the cool.

Cheers !

Wines for Christmas - RJY

This thread has matured somewhat :), but you mentioned Lidl; they have a selection of wines, some with "scores" as to how good someone thinks they may be, and prices. This is very helpful to many people, including me when I don't recognise something.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago, I bought some bottles of "The Saviour South African Cinsault", and some of "Monsaraz Reserva Alentejo", both at £7/bottle, which I'm looking forward to having some of. .

I have no connection with Lidl, except that I shop there, or at Aldi. Something to look at online instead of going out in the cold and the rain: www.lidl.co.uk/our-wine-range (with further links to their various products).