BMW 320d - Worrying bill from no win no fee guys! - Aboveall

Hi all. I've been a keen honest John fan for many years, but now it's my turn to ask for some advice ad I'm actually fuming.

Here’s the story…..

The Last summer just before lockdown I had a motorist reverse into my parked car and also hit me as I was standing beside the car, I’ve a witness etc, now this is exactly how it went down…

WE exchanged details etc and went on our way, within the hour I had a call from what I was led to believe was my insurance company (they worded it very well) I was of course still shaken up and just went along with it.

Shortly after I had another call focusing on my injury to my leg and knee, now of course I assumed it was through my insurance company, I sent them pics of my leg etc and they also wanted pics of my damaged car.

They sent me some email to sign to authorise them to value my car and act for my injury compensation which I did as I was still under the impression that it was my insurance company.

I heard totally nothing for many many months, no email replies nothing.

So I then called my car insurance company and asked why I’ve not been paid for my car or heard any injury claim news, they knew nothing at all about the entire incident!

I told them everything and was told by the guy on the phone ‘Mr so and so, this is now happening every day and it’s not the first time I’ve heard of a client being duped” yes he said DUPED.

I then made a proper claim for the car and got paid for it. So all fine there……

Now, after many tiring attempts I got hold of somebody at the ‘no win no fee’ company and told them I felt like I’ve been bamboozled, and to please forget the whole thing, its all sorted now, thank you. Only to be immediately replied with ‘well you need to pay our engineers report on your car sir, 108 pounds’.

I was somewhat taken aback by this to say the least. I then several weeks ago took a call from them asking me what’s happening, I again said just please forget the whole thing please.

Now, I’m sure you guys will not be surprised at what’s just landed on my doormat this evening!

Yes you guessed it, an invoice for the thick end of four grand nearly, with a letter stating they’ve tried contacting me to no avail and here is our bill for what we’ve done for you. Texts, letters, phone calls etc you know the kind of thing.

FYI guys, it’s the only paper physical letter I’ve ever had from them.

Oh, with 21 days to pay or else! And then the usual we will take legal action for the money, oh it also said I can pay on installments if I like! Which I found highly intriguing for an initial bill/letter.

I think I should call my real insurance company in the morning and just ask them if they can maybe send them a letter or something?

Please let me know what you guys think.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated indeed.

All my best to you all

BMW 320d - Worrying bill from no win no fee guys! - Gibbo_Wirral

Citizens Advice or the Motor Legal insurance on your policy if you have it.

BMW 320d - Worrying bill from no win no fee guys! - Palcouk

You responded to a mail assuming it was your insurer.

Then you signed an authorisation assuming it was your insurer

Then you discovered it was a third party and claimed was paid by your insurer.

Never respond to an unsolicited mail or confirm anything unless you know specifically the sender

Unless you receive a written bill from this third party there's no where for you to go.

Do not attempt to contact this third party, or do anything else. Wait until a bill tumbles on your mat

If you are using MS Outlook on a desktop PC, hovering the mouse over the msg 'from' will show the real senders mail address

BMW 320d - Worrying bill from no win no fee guys! - glidermania

You responded to a mail assuming it was your insurer.

Then you signed an authorisation assuming it was your insurer

Then you discovered it was a third party and claimed was paid by your insurer.

Never respond to an unsolicited mail or confirm anything unless you know specifically the sender

Unless you receive a written bill from this third party there's no where for you to go.

Do not attempt to contact this third party, or do anything else. Wait until a bill tumbles on your mat

If you are using MS Outlook on a desktop PC, hovering the mouse over the msg 'from' will show the real senders mail address

Unfortunately this. The OP will have a hard job avoiding paying the £108 bill as well. A number of people got caught with their PPI claims signing up to these companies, getting no payout then the financial company paying up and the PPI company then asking for their not inconsiderable cut.

It's a harsh lesson to learn for the OP but shouldnt the alarm bells have been ringing when someone phoned him after the accident?