Vw sharon - Rip off hire company? - Miss Lindsey Hodges

We hired a car to go on holiday , did 50 miles before doing all the normal going on long run checks ie oil water tyres etc , water was low so filled it did 350 mile and it was empty, filled and did 300 and empty again so called company, aa came said water pump, they took it away and now say we owe them £250 excess for stone damage to radiator . I requested photos of radiator damage but I can't see any impact damage on radiator just flies n wear & tear rust etc. Do I pay up ? Or is there anything I can reasonably do to sort this as I don't believe we caused any damage. Thankyou

Vw sharon - Rip off hire company? - Bromptonaut

Was this in the UK?

Vw sharon - Rip off hire company? - elekie&a/c doctor
AA called, so presumably Uk . You can’t see the radiator from the front of the car because it’s obscured by the Aircon radiator. Even if the radiator was leaking , water would be pouring out the front of the vehicle with loss after 50 miles . This will take any stone damage before the coolant radiator. I think the OP is being taken for a ride here .,

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 03/07/2023 at 19:34

Yes West Yorkshire

Vw sharon - Rip off hire company? - Palcouk

Assuming UK make a complaint to the trade body, if they are members, BVRLA Homepage

Thankyou I will contact them tomorrow, pity I can't seem to post the photos I requested of damage as although rusty no visible damage or shiny damage anywhere

Vw sharon - Rip off hire company? - Bromptonaut

If coolant is being lost to the extent that the system's going from full to below min in 300 miles then either it's leaking internally and going out the exhaust or it'd leave a puddle pretty quickly when parked.

Vw sharon - Rip off hire company? - sammy1

What does the hire contract say about damage . I cannot see how any reasonable company can blame someone for a hole in the radiator always assuming the picture they sent you is the actual radiator. I would not pay without a fight on this. I would expect a whole in a rad to loose a lot more water and very quickly

Vw sharon - Rip off hire company? - Brit_in_Germany

Would it be possible to get the roadside diagnosis from the AA? If there records show that the water pump was the source of the leak, then this is not damage caused by the hirer.

Vw sharon - Rip off hire company? - elekie&a/c doctor
From another point of view, think I’d be asking for a refund of the rental as the car was not fit for purpose.
Vw sharon - Rip off hire company? - focussed
From another point of view, think I’d be asking for a refund of the rental as the car was not fit for purpose.

Good one - fill out an official small claims court form N1- print it out keep a copy and send it to the hire company with a short note to say that if they do not withdraw their spurious claim for a holed radiator, you will proceed with the claim for the whole cost of the hire + expenses.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/upload...f

This has worked for me a couple of times in the past.

Edited by focussed on 07/07/2023 at 10:16

So I did as you guys said and put a complaint in to bvrla .Today I got a reply to say that I have to pay it as I signed a rental agreement and am therefor liable for any costs of damage to car whilst in my care, irrelevant of the fact that photos show no damage to radiator or that it could have been like that when I recieved it. The simple rule seems to be the hirer who finds the fault is liable for repair costs. As it was arranged through insurance as my car was hit whilst parked and is still being repaired (over 4mths being repaired now) I had to accept another hire car from same company , this car lasted a month then brakes started grinding metal.on metal as pads completely gone. AA wouldn't come out as they said its not been maintained safely therfore its not a breakdown but a maintenance issue. I called the rental company and they said drive it back to us..I said I will if you send an email saying you have requested I do that as its not safe to be on road and I don't want another bill for damage....30 min later they arrived at door to drive it away themselves. During this process I rang to find out when it was last serviced, turns out they don't service them, they take them to kwik fit when something goes wrong rather than service their fleet.

Edited by Xileno on 22/07/2023 at 12:40

Unfortunately I can't do this as car is being provided by the insurance company as my car was hit whilst parked and us still being repaired over 4 months later ! Apparently brexit is causing an issue getting part (bumper bracket !)

Edited by Xileno on 22/07/2023 at 12:42

Vw sharon - Rip off hire company? - sammy1

Unfortunately I can't do this as car is being provided by the insurance company as my car was hit whilst parked and us still being repaired over 4 months later ! Apparently brexit is causing an issue getting part (bumper bracket !)

What does the insurance company have to say about this sorry Saga. Two hire cars supplied not fit for purpose and one apparently dangerous. the insurance company are a rubbish insurer and I would complain heavily to them and certainly not pay the hire car company

Edited by Xileno on 22/07/2023 at 12:44

Vw sharon - Rip off hire company? - Xileno

Removed company names, getting a bit too close to naming and shaming.

Mod