Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - Warning

Just wondering what happens if someone passes away. I know bank accounts get locked out. But does the insurance cancel the policy? A bit of a problem with parked on the public road.

Can it be driven around? Will the insurance be transferred to a family member?

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - madf

The inheritors need to get Power of Attorney, contact the insurers, explain death and the POA and ask for temporary cover for whomever is to drive on public roads.

Insurers do nothing until advised of death.

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - Gordon17

Power of Attorney cannot be obtained after death, and if held for a living person stops as soon as they die.

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - FP

Probably Madf is thinking of Grant of Probate, not Power of Attorney, but this takes some time to put in place.

It would be necessary for a close relative or preferably an executor named in any will to negotiate with banks, utility companies, insurance companies etc.

Edited by FP on 29/11/2021 at 08:23

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - madf

Probably Madf is thinking of Grant of Probate, not Power of Attorney, but this takes some time to put in place.

It would be necessary for a close relative or preferably an executor named in any will to negotiate with banks, utility companies, insurance companies etc.

Thanks,

Senility approaches.

(Very topical: BIL, 80 , just had stroke and is very ill in hospital. He has 4 cars and 6 motorbikes)

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - Bromptonaut

I think you need to discuss this with the insurer. I'd expect the insurance to stop but they may give you some cover or may re title the policy as for the Administrator provided drivers are limited.

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - Andrew-T

I think you need to discuss this with the insurer. I'd expect the insurance to stop but they may give you some cover or may re title the policy as for the Administrator provided drivers are limited.

The first thing to get is enough copies of the death certificate to inform all the parties who need to know - if only to prevent anything inconvenient happening to bank accounts or insurers.

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - craig-pd130

This may not be practical depending on where relatives live, but providing the car is taxed and MoT'd then I don't see why a relative couldn't add it to their own insurance policy temporarily, or take out one of the short-term insurance policies so the car can be driven to an off-road position, etc while the deceased's estate is sorted out.

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - RT

This may not be practical depending on where relatives live, but providing the car is taxed and MoT'd then I don't see why a relative couldn't add it to their own insurance policy temporarily, or take out one of the short-term insurance policies so the car can be driven to an off-road position, etc while the deceased's estate is sorted out.

Surely one of the relatives has "driving other cars" on their policy - that should be enough to get it moved.

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - bathtub tom

Surely one of the relatives has "driving other cars" on their policy - that should be enough to get it moved.

Isn't this dependant on the car being insured and being able to prove the they had permission to drive it? With the policy holder being deceased that could be difficult to prove.

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - Grenache

No, you can only drive another car if that other car also has insurance in its own right in someone else's name.

The insurance would immediately void upon death of the policyholder, so you must buy a policy specifically for that car before using it (or even parking it in public).

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - RT

No, you can only drive another car if that other car also has insurance in its own right in someone else's name.

The insurance would immediately void upon death of the policyholder, so you must buy a policy specifically for that car before using it (or even parking it in public).

Depends on the wording of the policy - some don't specify that other insurance is a pre-requisite.

The continuous insurance requirement applies to the keeper (now deceased) not the driver.

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - Palcouk

Just an observation, when someone passes nothing happens with bank or any other accounts or services, until an executor informs the various bodies.

I have dealt with a number of cases in a personal & business capacity and have always only informed Gov bodies and Local Rates if relevant, I certainly don't inform inform banks/investments and services other than ones that will be cancelled, eg Sky/mobile. They are only informed once probate has been granted.

Someone passed away - car insurance etc... - Gibbo_Wirral

Just an observation, when someone passes nothing happens with bank or any other accounts or services, until an executor informs the various bodies.

Exactly - especially with today's "we'll renew automatically unless you tell us" companies.