Porsche 718 Boxster - Mot - strickjumpers

Hello..

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the distance allowed to travel for the purposes of a car mot test..obviously the car needs to be insured and roadworthy.

Porsche 718 Boxster - Mot - Falkirk Bairn

You have to have a booked appointment for an MoT.

There is no distance stated.

However, I think if a traffic cop stopped you he might think it odd travelling a L O N G distance for an MoT and could "find a problem" with the car / your driving if he cared to.

Porsche 718 Boxster - Mot - bathtub tom

As long as it's got a current MOT, you could drive it from one end of the country to the other. There may be a problem driving it back if it fails.

;>)

Porsche 718 Boxster - Mot - Andrew-T

As long as it's got a current MOT, you could drive it from one end of the country to the other. There may be a problem driving it back if it fails.

If this happens a week or more before the current MoT, is that invalidated by the new test or can the car still be driven until the old one expires ?

Porsche 718 Boxster - Mot - bathtub tom

If this happens a week or more before the current MoT, is that invalidated by the new test or can the car still be driven until the old one expires ?

I understand a fail is a fail and the car no longer has a current MOT, however, it would take some time for that to show up on databases and you'd probably be alright driving it for a few days. It would register on ANPR cameras, but I reckon BIBs are more interested in uninsured and unlicensed drivers than untaxed and un MOT'd. A fail on dangerous grounds means it shouldn't be driven at all.

A former next door neighbour was less than a week out in renewing the MoT.

BiB sitting at roadside spied his car coming back from the supermarket.

£100 fine but no points thankfully - he had 6 already.

Porsche 718 Boxster - Mot - Bromptonaut

Hello..

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the distance allowed to travel for the purposes of a car mot test..obviously the car needs to be insured and roadworthy.

As others have said there's no set distance.

In parts of the Highlands/Islands you might be 60miles from a testing centre. In London there's one every few streets.

The purpose of the law is to allow you to take a car with an expired MoT to get it tested. If you drive a lot further than you need to then you invite further inquiries about the purpose of the journey.

If my car is on my drive with an expired MoT, book it for a test near my daughter in N Wales then leave it with the garage for the day and look after my Grandson all morning is the law broken?

Get the car MoT'd locally.

That way if there is anything wrong with the car you can get it fixed before you leave.

MoT'd & assured the car is roadworthy you can drive to North Wales, have the day with the grandchild without the worry of a serious MoT failure stopping you getting home.

New pads & disks cost £xyz. Failed MoT at an unknown MoT station might cost you £zzz where z>x>y