Hyundai Veloster - consumer protection - BrokenVeloster

I bought a Veloster 4 months ago from a massive uk dealership (deleted) & the engine block has suffered a major deep internal failure. 2 independent garages advised a new engine required and dealer has taken back car to investigate further. Suspect they are trying to wriggle out of being responsible for selling a car that does not meet consumer protection law standards. Surely an internal engine block failure is a metal fatigue issue ( as with aircraft ) and could have been present for a very long time before failing after being driven only 2000 miles over 4 1/2 months. Any advice on this would be gratefully received

[deleted name of dealership - mod]

Edited by Xileno on 07/10/2021 at 13:10

Hyundai Veloster - consumer protection - Bromptonaut

What year is the car?

There appears to be a known issue with some Hyundai engines:

www.caranddriver.com/news/a34874678/hyundai-engine.../

If your car is one affected then no doubt the dealer will want to investigate history and whether recall work required was done,

Unless you've done something, or failed to do something (like checking the oil and/or observing warning lights) then I'd think you've a good case under consumer protection.

[deleted] Are you in England/Wales or in Scotland? - may affect how your rights are enforced and where I might signpost you for further advice.

Edited by Xileno on 07/10/2021 at 13:18

2012 model, no warning lights, engine oil was fine (checked by 2 independent garages) - unquestionably something deep in the engine block as manufacturers dealership took apart as much as the could in couple of hours to establish issue - they said it was deep in the block which would indicate something worn - fatigued. . . I am guessing the internals are all metal and not made of wood or something. For metal to break internally I am pretty sure it will be a manufacturing fault
I’m in England
Hyundai Veloster - consumer protection - Xileno

I'd rather we kept the name of the dealership out of the thread please. I know no accusations have been made but it just makes our lives easier should there be any comeback given the forums are monitored by companies. Removal of the name does not alter the quality of the replies I'm sure will be made by members.

Thanks - mod.

Hyundai Veloster - consumer protection - Bromptonaut

Xileno,

Not questioning the moderation decision but given that the dealership concerned has large scale operations in both England/Wales and Scotland it was a useful prompt to me in where BV might get help and how.

Hyundai Veloster - consumer protection - Xileno

No problem, I was aware that was probably the angle you were coming from with your question. Although I suspect many regulars on here will know who we're talking about we don't want to make it too obvious and I think best not to name them.

Thanks again Xileno - I understand where ur coming from.
Thank you for the link - that I am sure will prove very useful. Really appreciated Bromptonaut, thank you.