VW Golf - Proof of ownership problem - koliwood

A friend of mine was given a car but because she doesn't drive it was registered in her partners name.

Her partner has now left and she needs to sell the car which is currently SORN.

She vas the V5C but it is in the name of her partner.

She could get a backdated letter from the friend who gave it to her saying something like "Dear Tracy, please accept this car registration xyz.999 as a gift"

Would this work as proof of ownwership or is there a better way of doing things so she can sell it.

Thanks for any help or advice

Koliwood

VW Golf - Proof of ownership problem - glidermania

A friend of mine was given a car but because she doesn't drive it was registered in her partners name.

Her partner has now left and she needs to sell the car which is currently SORN.

She vas the V5C but it is in the name of her partner.

She could get a backdated letter from the friend who gave it to her saying something like "Dear Tracy, please accept this car registration xyz.999 as a gift"

Would this work as proof of ownwership or is there a better way of doing things so she can sell it.

Thanks for any help or advice

Koliwood

Your friend needs to get her ex partner to transfer ownership to her as according to DVLA records, they are the legal owner. A letter from her friend saying please accept the car as a gift, backdated or not, wont be acceptable.

I think the only way she could transfer ownership to herself in the circumstances you describe would be if she was a dealer or, the registered owner had died.

This may help.

www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/164355/how-to-t...p

VW Golf - Proof of ownership problem - sammy1

Does it not say clearly on the V5 ""The registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner""

VW Golf - Proof of ownership problem - FP

"Does it not say clearly on the V5 'The registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner'"

It does, but if the registered keeper and the owner are different it makes things problematic for the seller.

VW Golf - Proof of ownership problem - RichardW

If the friend has the V5 then they can just apply for a new V5 in their name ( www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle), presumably the ex has no interest in the car since it is SORN and they haven't taken it with them.

VW Golf - Proof of ownership problem - Middleman

Your friend needs to get her ex partner to transfer ownership to her as according to DVLA records, they are the legal owner.

No they're not. As above - the DVLA does not keep a register of owners.

VW Golf - Proof of ownership problem - koliwood

Update:

My friend applied for a new V5C which is in her posession but has her ex partner as the keeper.

Section 2 (Selling or transfering my vehicle to a new keeper) does not require any signature like it used to.

There is no declaration to be made that you are the owner.

I assume therefore that all she has to do is fill in section 2 in and send off to DVLA.

As she has a letter from her friend to prove that it was given to her and not her partner and as she makes no declaration or signs anything then she should be in the clear.

VW Golf - Proof of ownership problem - RichardW

Don't send it, it will never come back - do it online!!