Which products have made it into the Honest John Kit gift guides for Christmas 2019? You'll be surprised... | No thanks

Vauxhall Astra Estate (2004 - 2010)

1.3CDTi

reviewed by mikejharvey on 2 January 2013
Overall rating
How it drives
Fuel economy
Tax/Insurance/Warranty costs
Cost of maintenance and repairs
Experience at the dealership
How practical it is
How you rate the manufacturer
Overall reliability

Spacious, economical & reliable.

I have put 80,000 miles on this car since I bought it in Sept. 2009, and it now has 128,000. Apart from the first service when it was still under warranty, I have serviced it myself using only genuine parts and oil at sub 10,000 mile intervals. (I was a professional mechanic) I am lucky enough to have a cottage in Brittany, and I frequently drive the 630 miles there. It sits comfortably at 130 km/h (80mph) on French motorways and delivers 56 mpg overall on the run. It also returns that on my usual commute to work trip of 25 miles each way gentle countyside driving. It feels solid still, has no rattles or squeaks and has massive load space. I play bass in a band, and also carry the PA and all the bits that go with it. I have been looking to buy another since July and cannot find one - they are rare! Nice thing is it is a cam chain Fiat engine, so no expensive belts to replace. I find the seats a little uncomfortable on the longer runs, but the height adjustment to seat and steering allow me to change position. The O/S mirror glass fell off. I use the michelin Energy tyres which were OE to maintain the economy, and had 40,000 miles to the first set of fronts, and 36,000 miles to the second. I drive carefully but quickly when traffic allows. I would buy another!

Report as offensive