Is your car your pride and joy, or are you ready for a change? Let us know and you could win a £300 John Lewis voucher | No thanks

Porsche 911 996 1997

Overall rating
How it drives
Fuel economy
Tax/Insurance/Warranty costs
Cost of maintenance and repairs
Experience at the dealership
How practical it is
How you rate the manufacturer
Overall reliability

Expensive without the Porsche Warranty

I hankered after one of these for a long time. My 5th 911, and my first Turbo. I purchased this from an independent Porsche dealer (they're mostly all rubbish generally dishonest dealers in my experience, despite advertising their wares on some of the major car forums, but that's another story).

I got the car with a full Porsche warranty. Thank goodness I had. There were no end of problems, including new radiators (they are located in the front air vents and generally completely unprotected); power steering pump, a few oil leaks, starter motor and some other minor problems. The biggest issue is the intermediate shaft. All Turbos rattle from the engine bay (see YouTube). A lot of people say it's normal, however after about 6 months of ownership, my rattle got worse and worse until it was noticeably louder than before. I took it along to the main dealer and they diagnosed a intermediate shaft problem. They indicated it wouldn't fail (unlike the normally aspirated cars), but it is a design problem and can be replaced. The bill was the best part of 12,000gbp. Paid for by Mr Porsche. 600 miles later, the same problem, except now even louder! I took it back and they stripped the engine to reveal the intermediate shaft was faulty and out of tolerance. It was replaced with new chains, tensioners and bearings. After my warranty ran out I was loathe to keep the car. Under Porsche's warranty they don't warrant their work after the warranty expires (you can't buy another one after 9 years).

I would buy another Turbo again, but only ever with a Porsche warranty. Without it, the total work on my car was the best part of 30k. A colleague had a gearbox replaced under warranty. I suspect the older these cars get, the people who buy them simply cannot afford to keep them in the condition they need to be kept.

After owning 3 air-cooled 911s I'm rather disappointed with the apparent lack of reliability with the modern versions, although the modern one are much more comfortable to drive.

Report as offensive