What kind of chemistry do you have with your car? Love it? Loathe it? Let us know and you could win a £300 John Lewis voucher | No thanks

Mercedes-Benz E-Class (1995 - 2002)

reviewed by rgt1973 on 24 November 2017
reviewed by bigshineybike on 1 November 2017

E240 Estate

reviewed by DavidChing on 10 May 2016
Overall rating
How it drives
Fuel economy
Tax/Insurance/Warranty costs
Cost of maintenance and repairs
How practical it is
How you rate the manufacturer
Overall reliability

Great to drive but the rust is getting embarrasing

Bought 2nd hand from dealer in 2010 with 56k miles, reasoning that you get a hell of a lot of car for the money. No obvious rust patches then. Have now done another 40k in 6 years.

Rust is the major issue - passenger front wheel arch is very bad, as well as another 5 or 6 patches all over. Not good for a so called quality car. Also parts of the inside trim have broken off which does make you question Mercedes build quality - Mercedes door plate, rear seat clip, central ashtray

Maintenance costs have been ok with the most expensive job fixing a leaking hydraulic suspension from London's speed bumps. The wheels are continually black from brake dust both front and rear. The electrics are also troublesome - the rear break light is very dodgy; the temperature and clock LEDS have longs since been impossible to read; the fuse box and I are regular friends.

Is a great car to drive and surprising light and responsive for such a big car. It is though in its element as a long distance motorway cruiser and is probably the most comfortable car i have ever owned.

The car is cavenous, but also is a pig to park without parking sensors.

I get c. 28.4 mpg on motorway and in low 20s for urban driving. It seems to be more economic driving at 85mph than 60 ?

So overall I guess I cannot complain that I bought a 6k luxury car that has lasted 6 years with satisfactory running costs. Its just that rust... I cannot park near the other Dads after school for shame and am living in fear of the embarrassment of having it inspected for a PX or sale. If this was a car I bought brand new for 45k in 2003 and I saw it now, then I would not be happy.

I think it shows either buy new and sell once the warranty ends or buy at the end of the depreciation cycle and run into the ground.

Report as offensive