What kind of chemistry do you have with your car? Love it? Loathe it? Let us know and you could win a £300 John Lewis voucher | No thanks

Mercedes-Benz E-Class W210 1995

Overall rating
How it drives
Fuel economy
Tax/Insurance/Warranty costs
Cost of maintenance and repairs
Experience at the dealership
How practical it is
How you rate the manufacturer
Overall reliability

Comfortable, reliable, economical but dreadful rust

I owned this car for years, and absolutely loved it. However, I had to get rid of it because it was rusting everywhere. I had the rust fixed, and it simply rusted again. If it were not for that, I would consider this to be the best car I ever owned: but rust is about as serious a problem as you can get. The car was three years old when I bought it from a dealer, and had rust developing already. However, they agreed to treat it all before purchase, and the car really looked as good as new when brought it home. Unfortunately, within a year the rust had started to come through again, and when I got rid of it after four years, it was rusting everywhere. Alloy wheels also corroded badly, which is a problem that MB still do not seem to have addressed.

On the positive side, I ran the car up to 180k, and it hardly set a foot wrong. New glow plugs were needed around 100k, and new thermostat around 160k, a new battery around 175k. CD played had also started to wear out, randomly refusing to play around 50% of cds. Other than that, it needed little other than routine servicing. The ride quality was among the best I have encountered,and the interior was extremely comfortable but possibly looking a bit dated now. Performance and economy from this first generation CDi engine were superb, and stretches of motorway driving at 60mph often saw up to 50mpg. Massive boot and loads of room in the back. If it were not for the dreadful rust, I would still have this car now.

Report as offensive