Two things I said I would never do... - Xileno {P}
1. Buy a Ford

2. By an ex-rental car

And I've done both...

SWMBO has been on about a new car for some time to replace her reliable but ageing Toyota. So while she is away for a few months I have been looking around and saw an ex-rental 2007 Focus 1.6 Zetec with 11,000 miles - and I bought it for £9000.

I have always respected Fords but never really aspired to one but the Focus is a good car. Has it had a hard life as a hire car? Maybe but it drives superbly, its lovely Zetec engine spinning freely, the steering and gearchange are pure class. It is rattle-free and still has that new car smell and feel.

The bodywork is spotless, the only damage is on the rear seat where there is a slight tear in the cloth by the seatbelt pod. I suspect a careless person has tried to put an ISOFIX seat in without paying attention, missing the pod and tearing the cloth. I aim to get this repaired.

Have I been ripped off? I don't know, I just pay for things and move on to the next task. However SWMBO is pleased - priceless.

Any ideas what I can do about the seat damage? I will try and post a piccie in the next day or so.

Edited by Xileno {P} on 11/04/2008 at 22:07

Two things I said I would never do... - MikeTorque
Good choice of car, well done. Forget about the history and price, just enjoy your new motor and look forward to having lots of smiles as you drive/ride in it in the weeks and months ahead.

The garage may repair or replace the car seat on the warrantee or as a goodwill gester, it's worth asking. Otherwise it's a choice of ignoring the tear, covering it, or replacing the seat.
Two things I said I would never do... - Alby Back
For what it's worth Xileno. I bought an ex-rental Mondeo TDCi estate a couple of cars back. At the time it had 6k miles on it and was about 7 months old. I do a stupidly high mileage ( even more then than than I do now ). I ran it to very high miles without a moments bother. It was just the cooking model "LX" but was an absolutely faultless car and very good to drive. As a result I bought another one, this time with a few more bells and whistles on it but basically the same car. The "new" one has just clocked up 145k without any problems at all. I shall probably keep this one a good while longer as it seems to be in fine order and indeed I am now curious to see how far it will go without needing any unscheduled work. I know there are those who suck their teeth at Fords reliability but my personal experience has been very positive indeed. Hope your wife enjoys her car, I believe the Focus is a nice drive.
Two things I said I would never do... - Avant
Nice to see you back, Xileno. I too respect Fords and the way they drive: I'm put off by the heavy depreciation, caused by oversupply rather than any deficiency in the cars themselves.

I do a highish mileage and buy new. But if your 'boss' doesn't do too many miles then I would think buying nearly-new makes perfect sense. Good luck with it.

I hope that fine old 205 GRD is still going strong!
Two things I said I would never do... - Round The Bend
I, too, said I'd never have a Ford, and here I am with a Mondeo with 40k+ trouble free miles under the wheels. Car has now got 71k on the clock and has n't missed a beat. So far servicing has been very reasonable too.

Two things I said I would never do... - DP
Have had a Sierra, three Fiestas, two Focuses and a Mondeo, and have not had a serious fault with any of them.
The Sierra had 180k on the clock when sold, the second Focus had 100k on it (co car) and the Mondeo 142k. The Mondeo, with no preparation apart from a cursory check of fluid levels, took its new owner all the way back to Warsaw, Poland without skipping a beat.
Models introduced from the mk1 Mondeo onwards also drive brilliantly - enough so that many other more expensive cars can feel frustratingly numb and vague in comparison.
I'd not hesitate to buy another, or to recommend them to others.
Enjoy the car!

Cheers
DP
Two things I said I would never do... - deepwith
For the seat repair, I had one section of the fabric replaced on a front seat for the grand sum of £29 a few years ago. I asked how they had managed to match 3 year old material so well and was told they bought up the fabric from scrap yards, noting the age/car so they had a stock of most fabrics. I found them via yellow pages and a few phone calls.
Two things I said I would never do... - L'escargot
Even better than an ex-rental car is an ex-Ford Motor Company car which has been run by one of their employees ~ presumably a management perk. My Focus was 16 months old but had only done 4000 miles. The big attraction was that it was £1000 below list for its age. The only effect of the low mileage was that the brake discs were heavily corroded. However, with use the fronts cleaned up completely and the rears were left with just a narrow band of corrosion around the outside which was small enough for it to pass an MOT without comment. They're sold by Ford at auction. Tell a Ford dealer what you want (including the colour) and they will find one for you with no obligation to buy. Mine took about 3 days to find, and it came with several factory fitted options. Best used purchase I have ever made.
Two things I said I would never do... - Blue {P}
There's no guarantees with the Ford Direct ex-management cars I'm afraid, some are indeed used by staff (as your's probably was by the sounds of it) but lots of them are leased to rental companies. The key is in that most Ford employees don't actually get a company car, they get a discounted new one, therefore there are far more Ford "management" cars than there are actually employees eligible to drive one. :-)

Regardless of where they came from they're all still pretty good though, only seen one bad Ford Direct car which came with dents, scratches and a heavily warped alloy wheel.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/04/2008 at 21:23

It's good to be back after my enforced break. I shall be making the most of the next few months :-)

Piccies of the Focus, as promised:

tinyurl.com/576ehf

I had a nice surprise this afternoon. I lifted the rear seat and found a 5 pence coin. Alway welcome, free money. But also the bit of missing cloth so maybe a competent upholsterer can use it to make it nice again.

205GRD running well, not that it gets used much. It had a new set of glow plugs a few weeks ago and I plan to do the cambelt shortly.

I am surprised that I like the Focus so much. It's been an opportunity to test it against the Megane dCi, both have their strengths and weaknesses. Focus excels at being the driver's car, Megane a relaxed, comfortable and extremely refined way to travel.

Final thought - if Ford make good cars, why are they not in profit?

I decided to get a new seat cover from Ford - £115. Not too bad and I shall pay a local car upholsterer to fit it. I have been polishing the paintwork to take out a few minor marks using Meguiars ScratchX and MER. Both excellent at this sort of thing.

Only thing to get sorted now is a chip on the bonnet and the corner of the front bumper resprayed as it was very badly repaired by the dealer when I bought it. I suspect they used one of those mobile paint outfits. Well a blind six-year-old could have done a better job.

Otherwise I have been enjoying it while SWMBO is away - until August luckily. The quality of steering and chassis is first class yet the ride is absorbant. The gearchange is as good as any car I've driven. The 1.6 Zetec is fantastic, quite torquey and it's returning 36mpg - not bad at all on my slow journeys. The engine likes to rev, at about 4000 rpm the valve timing changes and you get this nice boost. At idle you can barely hear the engine.

It's not all good news though. The brakes are adequate but no more. You certainly have to work the pedal quite firmly to get the car to stop in a hurry. The braking potential is there, you just have to work for it. Also road noise suppression is poor and the seats are not as good as the Megane. And if you open the boot when it's been raining, water drips in the boot. Poor design.

Overall a very decent car though.
Two things I said I would never do... - P E
Xileno, I've got a 56 plate Focus, owned it for a week now. 1.6 petrol engined 'Sport', and have noticed exactly the same things, (brakes, fuel consumption, gear change).

I find the seats quite small (compared to a Mondeo and Volvo S60) and water does trickle into the smallish boot when the hatch is opened.

Having said that, perfectly competent and a lovely drive.

I wish I'd bought the 2.0 petrol....
Two things I said I would never do... - Blue {P}
A friend has one and wished he hadn't with fuel over £1.10 per litre ;-)
There's no guarantees with the Ford Direct ex-management cars ..........

Mine wasn't Ford Direct. It was sold by Ford at auction to the dealer I bought it from. The first owner was Ford and the first keeper was a Ford employee. I'd have no qualms whatsoever about buying another from the same source. Good price, absolutely immaculate condition, and it had the balance of a 3 year warranty.
Two things I said I would never do... - Chris M
Xileno
I don't know where you are based, but this chap www.trim-wizard.co.uk posts on the focusowners forum (CMax section) and operates in the Surrey area. I have no knowledge of the quality of his work, but it may be of use to you.
Two things I said I would never do... - oldtoffee
>>Final thought - if Ford make good cars, why are they not in profit?

Despite a drop in revenue, their latest results hint at a promising turn around, helped in no small way by strong performance in South America and Europe and cost reductions.

From their website:

"For the first quarter of 2008, Ford?s worldwide Automotive sector reported a pre-tax profit of $669 million, compared with a pre-tax loss of $226 million during the same period a year ago."
Two things I said I would never do... - adverse camber
Even better than an ex-rental car is an ex-Ford Motor Company car which has been
run by one of their employees ~ presumably a management perk.

If only you knew.....

Fords policy used to be that any management car had to be available for use by other employees if needed. Students included.

I have fond memories of using management cars between warley, dunton and ockendon.
If only you knew.....

Well, mine had done only 4000 miles and looked as if it had never been driven at all. You could practically still see the little nobbles that you get on new tyres! I've had it nearly 4 years and I'm still well satisfied ~ and I'm hyper-critical!
L\'escargot by name but not by nature
Two things I said I would never do... - smokescreen
The Focus is also used as an AA driving school car, and from what I've seen, took some real punishment, so that should give a somewhat good idea how much abuse these can take.
Two things I said I would never do... - Roly93
I did exactly this a couple of years ago.
I bought an ex-Hertz 53 plate Focus 1.6 Zetec with about 10K miles.
Nearly 4 years on, we still have the most sweet running and trouble free car I have ever bought, and there are no signs that this will change.
In the early days of Ford Direct, some cars were rumoured to be those that had been returned under the Ford Commitment (a scheme where cars with persistent or certain serious faults within a certain timeframe would be replaced FOC). The story was that the car had been shipped back to Ford Technical, "fixed", and then sent on to the Ford Direct prep centre for its usual valet and checks, before being sent onto the forecourt.

I don't ever recall a serious problem with a Ford Direct car that we sold. The appalling state that some new Ford cars were being delivered in at that time (misbuilds, damage, slack pdi checks) often made them a better bet than new quite honestly.

I am talking over a decade ago here, by the way.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 08/05/2008 at 10:24

Two things I said I would never do... - davecooper
Have had one ford, an Orion 1.6 Ghia Injection back in the 80's but none since. Ford are not even on my current shopping list which is mainly Italian and Japanese. However, I recently had the chance to compare a new Mondeo TDCi 140 and a new BMW 320d. The Mondeo was a company car which I had for a week and 1000+ miles and the BMW was my brother in laws who lent it to me for a few days while he went watching his beloved football team try to conquer Europe. My conclusion, were it my money, I would be buying the Mondeo. There was no area where it felt inferior to the BMW. If fact, for motorway cruising, I found it better. The whole build quality of the car was impressive. Unfortunately, I could not justify the Mondeo for just my wife and I and it does take a bit of parking. However, I would not need much persuading. What this all brings me to is that perhaps I should put the Focus on my list. It is a bit more common than some I am considering and it is not the best looking, however, if it is anything like the Mondeo, it could be my next purchase.
Two things I said I would never do... - whoopwhoop
Never quite understood why anyone would buy a nearly new Ford, when you can often buy a brand new one for similar money, with the advantage that you choose the colour, engine, spec, get 3 years warranty, 0 miles, brand new everything (i.e. no wear on tyres etc), and it hasn't risked being ragged to death by someone.

We bought a brand spanking new 1.6 Sport + metallic and a couple of other extras (mats, mudflaps, etc) for a shade under £10k.

Most ex-Ford cars (beit Ford or Ford direct) are ex-Hertz hire cars. sure most dealers will spin you a line and tell you it's an ex Ford managers car..... don't believe the hype!

Little give-aways to look for are : small rectangular sticker on rear door (usually with a dark blue magnetic stripe) - this is the hertz asset tracker which is used to check cars in and out. Also look under the boot carpet - they often forget to take the yellow sticker out which is used by Hertz staff to log damage to the car. But in essence, pretty much any <18 month old <15,000 mile Ford car with "Ford" on the log book will have been a hire car.
Never quite understood why anyone would buy a nearly new Ford when you can often
buy a brand new one for similar money with the advantage that you choose the
colour engine spec get 3 years warranty

I chose the model, engine spec, and colour, and got the balance of 3 years warranty. It came with 2 factory fitted options. The price was £1000 under list for a car of that age, i.e. 16 months. It had only done 4000 miles and was in showroom condition. Absolute bargain.
Most ex-Ford cars (beit Ford or Ford direct) are ex-Hertz hire cars.

The V5C for mine gave the name of the first registered keeper, with his address as c/o Ford Motor Co. Ltd., Eagle Way, Warley, Brentford, CM13 3BW. The keeper's id chip was still stuck on the top of the fascia.
L'escargot by name but not by nature

Edited by L'escargot on 08/05/2008 at 14:45

Two things I said I would never do... - MVP
We hire 1.6 Focus's when on holiday in Cyprus.

I have to say, what a fantastic car - a very smoothe drive, high quality interior, and very economical at 50-60 mph

I never thought I would like a Ford so much, but this is a brilliant car

MVP

Two things I said I would never do... - Rattle
I just never realised how good my Fiesta was the other day. Had to drive a 1.2 07 plate Clio III, I was expecting it to drive lovely compared to my Fiesta, but the handling, gearbox and clutch felt so much nicer.

My Fiesta has had a very hard life, has only got 70k on the clock but its all city miles. There are a few faults like a tendancy to drink oil but it still drives like a new car, this has the 1.3 Endura unit too which was never a smooth engine to start with.

So far I have only owned two cars, both have been Fiesta's but will need a second car by the end of the year another Fiesta it will be - can't afford the insurance on a Focus.
Fiestas are one of the most underrated cars around IMHO. We bought a 97P 1.4 Chicane (Si suspension, "sports" seats, and white dials) but with the 90PS 1.4 Zetec engine. In a car barely breaching 900kg, and with an engine that puts some 1600s to shame with its sheer guts and willingness to rev, it felt remarkably lively.

Bought with 70k on the clock with a heater control valve problem which was causing it to overheat whenever the heater was turned off. Eventually got to the bottom of it, and it rewarded with 27,000 miles and just under 3 yrs of hassle free motoring. I had to change the lower arms and arb bushes, but that was literally it outside of routine servicing.

The hard part of buying a Fiesta is finding one that's even been half looked after. Most aren't even serviced once the warranty runs out if the 6 or 7 we viewed were anything to go by. Ours had a full Ford main dealer history and even when sold at 97k still pulled like a train, handled like a go-kart, regularly returned over 40 mpg, and felt as taut as new. The engine was as smooth and willing as ever. Held out for top money for it, and as suspected, it sold to the first person who came out and drove it (a Ford dealer tech of all people!)

If looked after, they're good for big mileages, parts cost peanuts, and the Zetec engine is one of the best small power units around IMHO. Gutsy, frugal and willing. And as Rattle says, you only realise how good the chassis is when you compare it to an equivalent Polo, Corsa or Clio - it really is in a different league.

Just be prepared to hunt hard for one that hasn't had the bejeesus beaten out of it and has seen the recommended maintenance. They really are few and far between, I guess because it's seen as a cheap, plentiful car that's easier to replace than look after.

If I were in the market for a cheap supermini, I'd have another tomorrow.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 08/05/2008 at 21:28