-
Re. Cat burgling. The catalyst on my 2015 auris hybrid was also stolen while parked in a hospital car park recently. Fortunately I was able to diagnose the problem before taking it to my Toyota dealer in Guildford who quoted me at least an 8week wait and £1500 bill. I found a new catalyst online (amcarparts.co.uk) who supplied the item for £495 within a few days including lambda sensor and 2year warranty. I took the car to my local garage in New haw, Surrey who fitted it for £78. The car now works fine. I no longer take the car to the hospital though...
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 14-12-2019 Part 1 - Arminius JP

Further re.Cat burgling, I have seen it reported that some owners opt to weld a customized plate over the catalytic converter to make theft (typically undertaken in a few minutes) more difficult

Such thefts (apparently Japanese-manufactured catalytic converters are prized, not least from hybrids) is a point for "Little right charger" buying choices. The mechanic's advice of "go petrol" has much merit.

- groaver
Re Yeti again:
HJ, I'm sure it was you who posted a link to this site before - www.ridc.org.uk/features-reviews/out-and-about/cho...9

Hopefully that will give your reader the information required. :)
- jchinuk
Re Hands on the wheel
Further to my unscientific observations of other drivers, a more pertinent question is do some drivers sit too close to the steering wheel. The airbag is designed to inflate before you hit the steering wheel, that is why cars sold in countries without seat belt laws tend to have larger air bags. People sitting too close mean that they are in contact with the steering wheel before the airbag inflates, snapping them backwards causing injury. The other sin is drivers sitting so low they will slide out under the seat belt and receive no benefit from the air bag.
- Chris John Kelly
Re Rental Problems

I hired a Mondeo sized car from Enterprise Hull from Saturday 1230 hrs to Wednesday 1230 hrs and it only cost me £ 104.92.

I did not take their exorbitant insurance excess and instead paid £ 12.11 with Reduce my excess.com

Best to book day before if possible to get cheapest rate i have found.

Also as they did not have a Vauxhall Insignia in stock I was given a C Class
Mercedes at no extra cost.
- Chris John Kelly
Hired Mondeo/Insignia type car from Enterprise Hull from 1230 Sat to 1230 Wed cost £ 105.00
Got excess insurance separately for £ 12.11

Booked day before as find cheaper then.

On arrival had no Mondeo/Insignia so upgraded to Mercedes C Class at no extra cost.

Also they dropped me off at Hull station no charge.
- Mino

Re; Mum’s the word It's really *not* illegal to keep an uninsured car on a private driveway.

An untaxed vehicle must be declared under SORN, in which case it must not be kept, used or parked on the road.

If a vehicle is kept, used or parked on the road, it must be insured, whether it is SORN'd or not (although being "on the road" if it is SORN'd would technically be an offence).

Your driveway however, remains private property and nobody can tell you to insure your car if it never ventures off there, whether it is SORN'd or not.

Edited by Mino on 17/12/2019 at 15:28