- Disco-Diesel-Ron
RE: "A Misunderstanding"
DH should pay up for the work done and then shut up.
The poor guy (XXX) who worked on DH's car must bitterly regret getting stuck with DH as a customer.
I seriously pity the next worker (Victim XXX2) DH tries to get to work on his car.
DH has run up a nice solicitors bill - he better pay that one!
DH wants to run up more debt clogging up the courts, wow, I wonder what his solicitor said about that?
The mini will still be a pile of rust at the end of it all, unless DH wants to pay £7k for a new bodyshell - plus labour - come on DH, stop being a skinflint - PAY UP.
- Palcouk
"Its a Golf"
2013 now 52k miles after 6 years?
The user purchased a wholy inapropriate type of vehicle for his useage. Probably after reading Which recommendations!
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 31-08-2019 Part 2 - jchinuk

My, 14 year old Golf, has started making odd noises, which I was quoted £3K to fix, I traded it in while still a runner.

- GingerTom
Self starter. If a car does re-start itself after you get out then that's a shocking design. If my Mazda auto-stops and I leave the car I get a furious beeping noise then it won't re-start unless I press the starter again. Far more sensible.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 31-08-2019 Part 2 - Engineer Andy
Self starter. If a car does re-start itself after you get out then that's a shocking design. If my Mazda auto-stops and I leave the car I get a furious beeping noise then it won't re-start unless I press the starter again. Far more sensible.

That's because its a Japanese design.

My Fiesta is the same, you get a beeping and warning message.

- Lee Power
RE: Self starter.

My 308 if the engine is in STOP mode as soon as either front door is opened as to get out the car the engine restarts.

It seems some other car manufacturers cant design a fool proof stop / start system as well as PSA Peugeot / Citroen can.
- richelso
RE: Self Starter
My 308 restarts if you undo the seat belt. The start-stop is brilliant - I never thought I would use it but it is so good you can just totally ignore it!
- Dorset123
GE with the Mondeo says less than 20 weeks later and the car has run out of oil !
What is it with drivers who think they should never check their oil and other levels.
The reason to check the oil level is in case a fault has started then you can do something about it before the engine is wrecked ! It is also a requirement from the Highway Code to make sure that the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 31-08-2019 Part 2 - Arminius JP

Agreed, but drivers have been encouraged to rely upon warning lights, not least to show if the oil level is low. Worse, a good number of modern engines do not have dipsticks.

Mercedes' decision in the 1990's (when marketers had ascendancy over engineers) to dispense with the oil pressure gauge was regrettable as it deprived drivers of a useful and typically reassuring indicator.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 31-08-2019 Part 2 - Dorset123

I totally agree about some companies removing the dipstick but a Mondeo still has one so it should be used. The oil and tyres should be checked every few weeks or before the start of a long journey one of my mates is an AA man and the stories he tells us about about some cars, people set off on their long journeys with no checks at all then seem surprised when the breakdown.

I am reminded of an article by a well known lady columnist, her BMW "blew up" and she informed the garage that several warning lights had been on for "weeks". She was upset when the garage pointed out her mistake.

- glidermania
HJ has a comment before every edition about keeping queries short then has 3 whoppers posted, albeit 2, with a health warning!

Come on HJ, if people cannot send succinct queries, dont post them. They'rejust rants from people who want their way or the highway.
- Alex Dalgleish
DH could have just paid up for work done. Now he's paying twice due to legal fees. His logic escapes me.....
- stojom
Does stop/start still operate when engine cold as that will cause wear and will not work anyway if battery charge low. Completely agree about oil pressure gauge far more useful than other useless gadgets they install. My Toyota verso doesn’t even have a coolant gauge, just a light which extinguishes when temperature reached.

Edited by stojom on 31/08/2019 at 12:19

- Vitesse6
Given the number of electronic sensors on modern cars why don't manufacturers add a temperature sensor to the turbo which will give a warning that the turbo is too hot and the engine needs to run for a few minutes more?
- HairyJones
The number of buyers of VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda cars thinking that they are buying quality German cars that will give them miles of worry free motoring continues to amaze me. These cars consistently come bottom of the reliability rankings. Better buy Japanese marques.
- Captain-Cretin
Guy I knew had a DH customer with a Frog Eyed Sprite restoration.
Restoration went smoothly, but then the DH couldnt be contacted - turned out he had b*****ed off to Australia for two years!!!

On his return, the DH refused to pay the storage costs and was still arguing about it 11 years later - with the restored car sat under a cover in the corner of the garage,

At that point (1992), I moved away; I wonder if that car is still sitting there??
- danthere

I'm assuming DH is a shortened version of the phrase 'Richard' Head !

Edited by danthere on 01/09/2019 at 07:58

- jchinuk
Re : Unplugged
PN might be surprised to know his solar panels are almost certainly made in China.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 31-08-2019 Part 2 - Captain-Cretin

EVERYTHING is made in China these days.

If I want to get gifts for my Chinese in-laws, I usually end up in Charity shops buying "collectables", or old prints to take out and reframe when I get there.

At one point 85% of the worlds underwear was made in a single Chinese city; although with these days, China is too expensive, so the low value stuff is made in places like Thailand, Vietnam, or Indonesia.

- Penumbra
Agree that the "chinese made" comment is unwarranted. The original company eg BMW would have specced the part to be manufactured and would have signed it off.
They just would'nt allow the Chinese supplier to throw in any old tat. Blame BMW rather than the manufacturer