- CHarkin

I give you warning Im going into rant mode here. Since this VW thing started I have been getting angry at the bandwagen jumping thats going on with half truths, truths that are said in the most missleading way Diesel emissions are bad, yes but so are petrol emissions, particulates for Euro 6 are the same for both and NOx is only 25% lower for petrol. Thats not going to solve the situation is it? Ok in practice diesels emits more in real life but so does petrol and no one is looking at that, well not yet anyway. Particulates are the same for both. These petrol small capacity high output turbo & supercharged engines that are so efficient emit more NOx and particulates than their thirsty large capacity equivalents but much less CO2. So which do we want? NOx that stays in the atmosphere for a few day and is not a greenhouse gas or CO2 that stays in the atmosphere of many years and is a greenhouse gas. VW are having to fit a particulate filter to their models.of petrol cars.petrol NOx kills thousands of people the headline says, well maybe, maybe not it depends how you look at it. According to the BBC web site the way that is worked out is like this. Smoking shortens your life by 10 years, being obese shortens your life by 7 years, and if you work and live in the city NOx shortens your life by 30 days. So if you multiply 30 by the number in a city and divide by the number of days in a life that gives the equivalent of the number of people killed. To me that is a very distorted way of seeing things and in the context of modern living there are much worse thing. There is no doubt diesels in a city are not great but petrol is not much better, its the old unregulated vehicles that are the problem in cities where the high building trap the pollutants and allow them to build up in concentration. in fact if you drive your diesel in the countryside past a heard of cows you are doing positive good because the NOx rremoves Methane, the very worst greenhouse gas, from the atmosphere. Electric cars are great but we are decades away, the national grid could not supply enough electricity to have any worth while numbers on the road. I suppose we could always burn coal to generate more!!! Yes I have been a bit flippant but you get my point we need a logical rational strategy not just an emotional demonisation of diesel or any one thing. Well I feel a bit calmer after that.

Edited by Charles Harkin on 06/02/2017 at 23:57

- aufdermaur
Re breakdown cover for older cars - I have a Lloyds bank Silver account which costs (I think) £9.95 a month and one of the privileges is AA Breakdown cover for any vehicle in which you happen to be travelling. I have been recovered or repaired several times since I took out the account, including two different 20+ year old Toyota MR2s.