Wheeler Dealers - Series 6. - Dynamic Dave
Every Tuesday 9pm on Sky Channel 240 Discovery RealTime (repeated 1 hr later on Ch 241).
Virgin channel 271, repeated one hr later on Ch 272. For the next few weeks.

Tonight (5th May) - Triumph Spitfire

And in no particular order, the rest of the series includes -
Porsche 944 Turbo,
Audi Quattro,
VW Beetle,
Jaguar XJS

www.discoverychannel.co.uk/web/wheeler-dealers/

{amendment to header}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/05/2009 at 11:34

Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - XantKing
Was interested to see the Beetle on the online trailer the other day, as they've already done one of those - although granted, they made it into a beach buggy, and I'm not sure they used more than 5% of the original car in the end, such was the rot discovered underneath!
Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - mattbod
Damn we don't have the Sky premium package. Can you catch up online? If not I'll just have to dig out my DVDs of the orginal series!
Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - Dynamic Dave
The usual anomalies crept into the show. Send the bright work away for re chroming to make the car look tidier when it comes to selling, then Ed rebuilds the top end of the engine and puts back on a filthy rusty old rocker cover. Why? For the sake of a quick rub down and a couple of pounds spent on a can of silver aerosol, he could have tarted that up as well.

Talking of the re chroming, did anyone else's episode jump into the adverts midway through the process?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/05/2009 at 01:24

Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - grumpyscot
How come when they tot up the costs, they never include the cost of labour? Most of the time, it would prove that their efforts were not cost effective!
Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - b308
My wife asked that as well.. I think the answer is that they are "imitating" an ordinary person like you or I who are doing up a classic car as a hobby, not a full time job, therefore the cost of bits or outside resprays would be valid, but not labour... The series that does the whole lot would be the "Wrecks to Riches", a series that I can't get into at all, compared to the WD and "Car is Born" ones which I really enjoy...
Ditto on the re-chroming section jumping to the ads halfway through, but there was also some choppy editing in the first episode - when he first bought the Spitfire, he turned to camera and exclaimed "I've bought myself a car", only to be cut off before the last letter. Bit odd. Maybe the finished episode was found to be a few seconds too long at the last minute....

Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - TimOrridge
If you refer to "Dave" channel the programmes (esp TG) are heavily cut down to fit the 6 minutes of adverts in one hours tramsmission.

EDIT - sorry this post is nothing to do with the OP's post - please ingore I didnt read it properly

Edited by TimOrridge on 06/05/2009 at 14:03

Mark Evans, the presenter of the "is born" series has his own website which sells dvds of his series and Wheeler Dealers - mentions unseen footage as well... Google his name and you'll find details.
Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - daveyjp
V+ was made for programmes like Wheeler Dealers - about 20 minutes of ads in an hours worth of programming is OTT.

I wonder how much research they do before buying the car. If the car only needed a new set of HT leads to cure the misfire it wouldn't have been much to watch.
Yeah, was glad I had Sky+'d Wheeler Dealers last night, since it meant I could fast forward through the 4 minutes of catch-up you seem to get after every break and at the start of the second episode!

I often wonder if they do really have a set idea of a car in mind before they go looking for it, or if they just find something then make up all the preamble about looking for it later.
Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - TimOrridge
Mike Brewer always gets my vote. Smashing bloke.

SQ

Don't forget Edd too. He's a nice bloke when he 's not making shopping trolleys. He should really put his efforts to better use.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/05/2009 at 11:31

Yep both seem really nice guys when so many on TV (and the few print jounos I've met) seem to be pompous and arrogant pink fluffy dices. Love the show. To quote Mike: "look at me! I'm smilin'"

My dad's a grammar Nazi though and is always slagging Mike off for his grammatical errors! I think Ed is like a young mate of mine: dropped out of a posh school to tinker with cars. I think. He is the one who is the true know all. He's erudite as well as being an absolute genius IMHO . Come on a road legal desk???

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/05/2009 at 01:58

P.S am I wrong or was Mark Evans a vet at one time?
Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - Falkirk Bairn
Mark Evans is a VET.
Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - NARU
Mark Evans is a VET.

RSPCA chief vet. And he was prepared to speak out against the kennel club inbreeding.

I was given his latest car restoration DVD for Christmas - a good watch
Thanks for the clarification. Just a word of warning don't buy the Wheeler Dealer DVDs on his site. The series 1 box set is nearly £80. I paid £25 on a well known book (and a whole lot more) website named after a famous river.
P.s to forstall some of the curmudgeons on here who like to have a dig: yes I know my last post had some mistakes which I am aware of. I am out and using an iPod with it's stupid "keyboard". So no sneering remarks about grammar please( well there will always be one I'm sure)
In response to the boss: why shouldn't he (Mike Brewer) be nice? There's too much of this "arrogance is cool" mentality around. Look at the apprentice for example at the way the contestants conduct themselves. I have no time for people who lack manners and civility. Mike has both in spades and would love to meet the guy. He reminds me of my cousin: a Gravesend lad and a wheeler dealer second to none (in property) but a true character.

Manners cost nothing.

Edited by mattbod on 08/05/2009 at 02:10

Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - v8man
I have met Mike as he presented the Eastbourne motor show last year and is I believe coming again this year.

He spoke to me and my son for ages. No airs or graces, just down to earth.
Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - Mr X
I think the program gives a very distorted view on the buying and doing up of the cars involved because although the price of parts are taken in to consideration, the labour charge is never mentioned. Brewer has never said...I made £400 on the deal and split it 50-50 with ed so we must assume that the lad is working for free. Some body get me his address !
I think the program gives a very distorted view on the buying and doing up
of the cars involved because although the price of parts are taken in to consideration
the labour charge is never mentioned.

I think the answer is as I said earlier that it is done on the basis of a private enthusiast who has to pay for his parts and some things like resprays but who does up cars as a hobby, not to make money, therefore the labour costs don't come into the equation...

You'll find that if labour costs were taken into account very few classic cars would be restored as the chances of even breaking even are practically nil especially when doing up the more "ordinary" cars they tend to do up!

Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - Dynamic Dave
so we must assume that the lad is working for free.

I'm sure the Discovery Channel are paying him for presenting the show.
Some body get me his address !

www.cummfybanana.com

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/05/2009 at 11:21

Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - FP
Is Mr X going to respond to the thread "MrX, the Motoring Enthusiast...?"?

I have been haunting the BR in anticipation.
Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - tintin01
In classic car mags the advice is almost always 'buy the best you can afford' because that is cheaper than buying a poor example and having the work done. I think, as said earlier, the aim of the show is to show that you could buy the parts and with your own (free) labour do up a classic and make a bit of money. Usually, Brewer doesn't make much and you sometimes wonder if it was worth the bother, but I think the do-up, sell-on thing is just to give the show an angle.

I like Mike Brewer and Edd China - both come over as nice guys and very genuine enthusiasts. I particularly like to see Edd try to get into very small sports cars. Sometimes when the camera angle is right, he and Mike look like Hagrid and Harry Potter. If Harry Potter were chubby and smiled a lot. Nice to see the show back, but yes constant re-caps are the bane of most of these car and house shows nowadays.

Wheeler Dealers - New series starts tonight - stretch69
Guys, don't forget as it's a TV show they can't wait weeks to get the best price for the car - realistically I should imagine they would have to sell it in a couple of days: probably the first or second person that views it. Consider that they've never had one unsold, so they are probably putting them up for a very attractive price. Also, obviously the labour isn't included, as this is very much a show for home enthusiasts.

Great show though, I wish my local mechanic was half as good!
Wheeler Dealers - Series 7. - Dynamic Dave

It's back tonight (20/10/09) @ 9pm.

Ferrari 308 GT4 Dino (episodes 11 & 12)

Mini City 1000 (episodes 13 & 14)

TVR S2 (episodes 15 & 16)

Land Rover Discovery TDI (episodes 17 & 18)

BMW M3 E36 Convertible (episodes 19 & 20)

Wheeler Dealers - Series 7. - Pugugly
What channel ?
Discovery Real Time.
Wheeler Dealers - Series 7. - Dynamic Dave
Sky Channel 240 Discovery RealTime (repeated 1 hr later on Ch 241).
Virgin channel 271, repeated one hr later on Ch 272 (I think, not a Virgin Customer and a quick google wouldn't tell me. Got the info from my post at the start of the thread.)
Thanks I found it and "series linked" Good afternoon viewing when I'm meant to be doing something else !
Wheeler Dealers - Series 6. - Roly93
Great series, a good relaxing watch with some useful info too.

I like Mike and Ed very much.

Their newer series Wheeler Dealers on the Road was good too. Watched the episodes a few days ago, where they refurbished a Bentley Mulsanne and also a classic Citroen DS great stuff.

Okay they never mention labour costs, but who cares, you cant always put a price on entertainment !
Wheeler Dealers - Series 6. - mattbod
Drat I don't have the expensive Sky package and went on to the site only to find there is no watch on demand service to catch up. They did used to release this series on DVD but haven't of late. Would love to see the 190 Cosworth and DS episodes. Anyone know if these have been posted on Youtube?

Edited by mattbod on 21/10/2009 at 19:46

Wheeler Dealers - Series 6. - bell boy
190 Cosworth
i watched this with one eye on youtube yesterday at work showing you what to look for yes?
try under greatest car crashes-thats where i started and ended up watching sooty and sweep
Wheeler Dealers. - shara
Hi,

Have been watching the latest series of Wheeler Dealers on Discovery and something has struck me about Edd China. At the beginning of the programme Mike Brewer goes out and buys a car and he then returns to Edd's workshop. On return to the workshop he usually beeps the horn and Edd emerges from the workshop to have a look at the car. When Edd emerges it reminds me of Jesse from the Fast Show (this week I have been mostly eating.....!)

Any body else agree?!
Wheeler Dealers. - glowplug
I agree, mostly eating beef sandwiches this week...

For me it's the best motoring (car enthusiast) program on TV. Mike Brewer gets my vote as does Edd China for nicest guys on TV. Plenty of different cars and enthusiasm.

BTW what happened to the other chap in the very early series when the seemed to be filming in a mews?

Steve.

Edited by glowplug on 30/10/2009 at 11:40

Wheeler Dealers. - bell boy
my 405 line tv cant get this programme
is it on that new bbc2 channel?
Wheeler Dealers. - Falkirk Bairn
BTW what happened to the other chap in the very early series when the seemed
to be filming in a mews?

That was Deals on Wheels - no Ed China

They were all repeated ad nauseum on a variety of daytime Sky Channels
wheeler dealers on tv - mark.b
watched the current episode of wheeler dealers tonight, they were fettling a tvr, whilst mike was test driving the car he said that the brakes were pulling to the right a little, anyway he buys the car ,tells ed all thats wrong with it and off he goes, ed gets the car up in the air and checks suspension bushes and track rod ends and finds the latter needs changing , he also mentions the brakes look fine , we see them over his shoulder looking rusty around the outside of the disc, cut to programme two and there is a new set of discs and calipers fitted to the tvr , no mention of them from either ed or mike and not mentioned in the final total , i am finding this programme less and less accurate week by week, rant over
wheeler dealers on tv - Lud
Saw a couple of minutes tonight. A Lotus Esprit on a trailer. Looked pretty damn moronic to me.
wheeler dealers on tv - DP
I like this show. Two very nice guys, as has been pointed out before, and Edd is a genius. Always a pleasure to watch that laid back, unflappable, common sense approach to a job that only comes from being blinking good at what you do, and totally comfortable doing it. Makes it look easy and achievable, which I find is the mark of the best professionals in any discipline.
wheeler dealers on tv - Dynamic Dave
cut to programme two and there is a new set of discs and calipers fitted

Yes, I noticed that too.

Also, at the start the centre console was looking tired and minging. At the end it looked like it had had a makeover - possibly by the same guy who did the seats?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/11/2009 at 10:25

wheeler dealers on tv - AlastairW
I guess the tvr needed loads of work ie: too much for two episodes, so they simply cut out the bits we has seen before on other cars.
wheeler dealers on tv - Dynamic Dave
I guess the tvr needed loads of work ie: too much for two episodes ....

So why lie about how much the parts cost?

I also notice Edd occasionally makes use of his "penetrating fluid", which is a disguised can of WD-40. A true penetrating fluid would be something like Plus-Gas which is far superior to WD-40. Maybe the show's budget won't stretch that far to buy the correct product?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/11/2009 at 00:41

wheeler dealers on tv - piston power
Yes i noticed the new discs and calipers but they won't have a leg to stand on if they sell it and anything fails so i guess they either make a loss or the sell is fixed and made to look like a bargain.

Still a good show but i don't think ed does all the work himself he does not seem like a fully qualified mechanic and somebody pulls the strings!

The ferrari and the tvr well it's coming up town now missed the mini one damn!!
wheeler dealers on tv - piston power
he does not seem like a fully qualified mechanic and somebody pulls the strings!

I stand corrected just read his site he's a wackey inventor of the fasttest sofa etc! so sorry Ed your amazing!
wheeler dealers on tv - andyp
I remember one of the early programmes where they bought a 205 GTI to tart up, it showed Mike driving it back to the workshop with smoke billowing out from underneath it, which according to them was cured by Edd changing the gear selector rods !
Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - Dynamic Dave
Land Rover Discovery conversion to an expedition vehicle.

So why wasn't a winch and sill protectors fitted then? And where were the Camel decals ;o)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/11/2009 at 12:47

Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - piston power
You beat me to it.!

Yes no winch and what gorgeous finish to the paint,no service & no brake checks come on edd get your finger out.
Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - shara
Hi,

Watched Whealer Dealers with the M3. I believe on the show it was sold for £5950. Well that same car is up for sale at a dealers for £6990. Take a look:

www.pistonheads.com/sales/1323944.htm

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/11/2009 at 23:01

Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - Pugugly
Watched that today - they did a nice job of it. But it was a good base to start from - a twelve year old car with a glossy paint job and no rust reported. I almost wanted it.
The yellow landy classic with the v8 engine that blow some nice blue smoke and the lpg conversion, however the totting up towards the end of costs was totally wrong forgot those metal plates on the wings and few other things, starting to think the sales are a bit fixed.

At least the m3 they have a used gearbox and used interior to sell on even though worn will get some cash back.
Watched Whealer Dealers with the M3. I believe on the show it was sold for £5950. Well that same car is up for sale at a dealers for £6990.

Best of luck them getting it too. I remember the episode of Wrecks to Riches with the Vauxhall VX220. The guy they did it up for didn't want it. Connor, the bodyshop manager said he'd have it if the client didn't want it, yet it was sat around for ages after being rebuilt. Seems no one would touch it with a bargepole.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/11/2009 at 23:08

The M3 seems to have got some chavved up rear lamps in the linked ad. Not sure they were on the car as sold by Mike.
I remember that episode, Connor seemed really keen on the VX220 so I am surprised to read that it sat around for ages. Re the M3, it sold on the show for £5950 but is now up for £6990. The ad doesn't state that the cars had loads of work done since the show so i'm assuming that it is pretty much the same as when it was sold on the show? So why the big price difference? Did Mike sell the car to cheap or is that the impact fame (!) has on car values?
I remember that episode Connor seemed really keen on the VX220 so I am surprised
to read that it sat around for ages.

It was for sale on the Cleave Motor Salvage website for quite a long time, IIRC.
The guys selling the M3 now will have added a chunk to cover any warranty issues I suppose.
Think your right Pugugly, dealer would have to put a mark up on to cover warranty. Dynamic Dave, after reading my comment back about the VXR 220 sitting around for ages it sounds like I am disputing what you are saying re how long the car sat around for after the show. Apologies if it did come accross like this, did not mean to, its just that Connor seemed really keen on the car and looked a dead cert to take it. Something astonishing must have happened for him to not take the car, at the time he looked like the cat who had got the cream. Is there any chance of Wrecks to Riches coming back? It was a good show and they also accounted for labour costs unlike wheeler dealers. If Dominic Littlewood is to busy I'm sure they can find somebody else, Mike Brewer perhaps?!
Apologies if it did come accross like this

No need to apologise - it didn't.
did not mean to its just that Connor seemed really keen on the car and looked a dead cert to take it.

Maybe he did, then it fell into Cleave's hands some point in the future?
It was a good show and they also accounted for labour costs .....

Having had bodywork done myself on some of my cars, I wondered whether they were undercharging or charging "mates rates".
Noticed they've dropped the bit about driving a similar car from this series. Highly irritating is the American style re-capping after the commercial break as well.
Just watched the one with the old mini it was a bit of a old beast before but looked mint when finished paid £300 for it and spent a few quid think it was £1100 but mike you forgot to mention in the costs the new tyres you had fitted & for a mini just the same as out trailer 145 x 10 at a very well known scotish fast fit company the cheapest brand is £45.00 per corner as you say so thats £180.00 plus fitting on top!

Besides you did a small engine service and im sure it had new brakes too and subframes & welding to floor pan and new shockers etc etc.
Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - bell boy
£45 for a 145x10 ?
thats scandalusk
i remember tommy farmer made his name on the back of these being £9.99 fitted
Yes that is the quote from one in leeds £45.00 each plus valve and ballancing!

Mine came from mytyres.co.uk about half that price & of course no ballance required on a trailer, he made his cash from flogging runners partworn tyres before he set up his buinsess which i won't name!
Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - b308
Yes that is the quote from one in leeds £45.00 each plus valve and ballancing!
Mine came from mytyres.co.uk about half that price

Will have to watch that one again - first series if I remember rightly... but as regards cost, I suspect Edd wouldn't have paid very much for a set and he'd have fitted and balanced them himself if he did...
Im quite sure there is plenty of parts that get fitted but not added to the final bill i still think the "sale" is a hoax a set up, it just seems too false. what do you lot think?

This my opinion...............

Edited by bigtee on 20/11/2009 at 15:48

Highly irritating is the American style re-capping after the commercial break as well.

What was also annoying about this weeks episodes was the Discovery Channel announcer talking all over Mike Brewer at the end of the show as the credits rolled. I notice these announcers don't talk over the top of the advertisements though.
Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - Lud
What this show does do is draw one's attention to tasty but unloved motors from the last 20 years that might be available for Eurobox prices.

It doesn't seem to do much else of any value. Real information is almost non-existent. It could easily gull a naive young fellow into blowing his wad on a Ferrari 400 or something, having found the eye-watering insurance money but without doing any research on equally eye-watering running costs and planning to leave the thing in the street all winter.

I find the people who present it a bit strange too. Sometimes their tastes and attitudes seem impeccable, sometimes they seem naff. It's weird.
Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - njgleeds
Apparently the next series, which is already in production, is going to be aired on the main Discovery channel and each episode will be 1 hour long instead of the current 30 minutes.
Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - helmet
They were both at the Classic Car Show at the NEC last weekend,and boy is Ed tall,no wonder he needs to get the ramp up high.

They came around with buckets of gear,so my mate went up to Ed and started to rifle through his bucket to see what he had!!!!
Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - b308
>>each episode will be 1 hour long instead of the
current 30 minutes.

They are currently one hour now (per car), just divided up into to 1/2 hour progs - something to do with being shown as a series over several weeks when they were first shown perhaps?

Njgleeds, I missed it this year after twisting my ankle at work, was most peeved off, was it good?!
They are currently one hour now (per car) just divided up into to 1/2 hour progs -

Cut out the adverts and the interval between the two ½ hr shows and it's actually only approx 40 mins viewing time.
Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - Daviescv108qa

hello

i have been looking through pages of information on wheeler dealers. from what i have worked out it is all a big fake. the cars are never sold to members of the public but are sold to members of cast and crew but its made to look like there members of public. also the cars are not sold as if there is anything majorly wrong with them the production company might get sued. There is someone pulling the strings. there is a technical adviser called paul. youll see his name in the end credits. this is just a very vague example on what might be able to be achieved. they do a lot of work thats not mentioned, like cleaning waxing the paintwork, the brakes etc on the episode of the TVR previously mentioned on this forum. i wouldnt belive everything you see on this tv program. there is a website on here called mbclub uk (look on google) full of mechanics which think that the work they do sometimes is inacurate and unnesseccery. sorry about the spelling. i am really disapointed. i thought this was a accurate program. i am gutted that im wrong.

thank you xxx davies2126@hotmail.co.uk

Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - ddr

thanks for bringing back a thread from 2009 with that!

Couple of years later, the show is still going strong on Discovery Turbo, and still fairly entertaining and informative I think...

Don't think I believe that all the cars are sold to crew - how many people do you think work on a show like that? Either way who cares, its not a documentary, it's a programme about restoring motors.

Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - Armstrong Sid

Almost like a youngster discovering that there is no such thing as a real Father Christmas!

i wouldnt belive everything you see on this tv program

And it is by no means the only programme on tv where that comment applies. Many television shows have features which are arranged and planned to give an impression they are random and casual.

Wheeler Dealers is infotainment. It's not a living Haynes manual

Edited by Armstrong Sid on 27/04/2011 at 17:15

Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - TeeCee

Too right, they really took the p155 in their Frogeye Sprite rework.

For a start they reckoned about 160 quid for "other parts", yet it was very obvious that when the car came back from its respray that the pedal box had been replaced and it had gained a new master cylinder. I know for a fact that those tandem brake 'n clutch master cylinders are like rocking horse doodah and somewhere north of 200 quid a pop!

Also I noticed that the track rod ends were shot when Edd was swapping the brakes. It mysteriously gained two new ones somewhere in that process.

I also noted that not once did they even mention the quarter-elliptic spring mounts built into the rear of the sills, which on a car last rebuilt 20+ years previously are certain to have been shot and would nicely account for the original price of the thing.

I doubt they actually made anything on it all in reality. In fact I rather suspect the reverse.

Good show though. My favourite moment so far was seeing Edd's face on starting up the Volvo P1800 after a total top end rebuild to find..........it had made no difference at all. The root cause of the duff running was that the carbs needed work.... I laughed, if only because I know very well what that feels like.

Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - Roly93

Granted there are some holes in what goes on on Wheeler Dealers, for instance they regularly seem to have new tyres fitted to some of the cars which dont get factored in to their budget, and other new parts appear mysteriously the same way. Also, when they talk of profit, they never factor in Ed's expert time and effort, because a lot of the time this would blow the wheels off the thing.

All of that said, it is an enjoyable and relaxing show to watch that brings back memories of my younger tinkering days, when cars didn't have ECU's Common Rail fuel systems and sealed modules for everything !

Sometimes you just have to accept the programme for what it is, infotainment.

Wheeler Dealers - Land Rover Discovery - alan1302

Could the crew in fact be members of the public on their days off? Maybe they can only work on the show if they want to buy a car. Or do they get paid in cars rather than cash? The technical adviser Paul also appears in some of the epsiodes to help Ed out - or was he in fact someone they call Paul and he is in fact not Paul but someone else and Paul stays in the Shadows? Cleaning and waxing is mentioned as Mike always says 'throw a bucket of polish over it'. I did this once to my car but forgot to let go off the bucket and have a dent now. Mechanics on a website think something is inacurate? Maybe they are in fact not mechanics but memebers of the public?