99, 2.5 TDi V6 - won't start - any ideas ??? - SS069
I have a 1999 Audi A6 2.5 TDi V6 that won't start - can anyone give me a pointer in the right direction......?

The car has been left standing for 6 months. I went to it last weekend & the battery was completely flat, nothing in it whatsoever.

I removed the battery & fitted a brand new fully charged one, tried to start it, but wouldn't fire up.

I looked down the oil filler cap to ensure that the timing belt was OK & the belt is OK as everything in the rocker box is turning as it should.

I then cracked ALL 6 injector pipes on top of the injectors & there's plenty of fuel pumping out of them all.

I can squirt Easy Start into the air intake & the car fires up, but cuts out once the Essy Start has been burnt - I not do this too much for obvious reasons.

So now I'm presuming that it's something electrical.

Does any one have any ideas what it could be ?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 28/10/2007 at 20:22

99, 2.5 TDi V6 - won't start - any ideas ??? - Screwloose
SS

If you've got fuel being injected and it'll run fine on sniff; then the pump timing has jumped and it's, at least, one tooth retarded.
SL,

Thanks for that, does the pump have it's own drive/timing belt or is that part of the cambelt ?

How big a job is it to set the pump timing & fit a new belt ? - if it's slipped then is must be a little worn.

SS
99, 2.5 TDi V6 - won't start - any ideas ??? - 659FBE
This engine is notorious for water pump and (usually consequent) timing belt problems. Your water pump may have stuck if the car has been inactive and caused the belt to jump or shed a few teeth.

I would recommend that you make most careful and detailed checks before cranking the engine - any damage is ruinously expensive on a vehicle of this age.

The job is a bit of a pig, even after you have pulled the front into the "service" (wonderful VAG euphemism) position - there is plenty of bedtime reading on the Internet. Try to get a pattern water pump with a metal impeller.

99, 2.5 TDi V6 - won't start - any ideas ??? - thrustyjust
we had issues with our 2.5 tdi.It ended up as the injector pump failed.With the injector pipes removed it would squirt fuel,but wouldn't run.Easi start would get it started but would die as you said after it burnt.Check the immobiliser too after the battery issues.It made me loose a kidney paying for the new pump as no-one had a second hand one and it is relative to the engine codes and the immobiliser runs through it too.Old pump was rebuilt and bang off it went.Sold it soon after as too costly when they go wrong.
MEGA QUOTESNIP!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/10/2007 at 13:38

tj

Are you sure that yours hadn't just jumped a tooth? If it was spraying from the injectors, then it was doing it's job - just a fraction late.

For some odd reason; all TDis [particularly around '99] do this - often soon after a new cam-belt.

I've even had to diagnose one for a VW dealer; who blankly refused to believe me - until an unfortunate tech got the job of removing the front and checking the pump timing; which was one tooth back......

I never did find out whether the customer was charged for the £2000-odd worth of parts that they'd already tried....
Anyone know a reasonable mechanic inthe Manchester area to do my timing belt & get the timing right on the fuel pump ?

Screwloose - do you fancy the job then ??

Cheers,
SS
SS

You're 300 miles away. Anyway; these days I point - they undo.

Try C&R Enterprises in Radford. A little closer.