Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - Kris the joiner

Hello, I'm new.

We have bought a Honda crv car for the family car. Always wanted one for 15 years but always talk myself out of it some some strange reason. But glad we finally got one. Its lovely and smooth. And want to try our best to keep it that way.

Now in the past I havent had the best track record of servicing our cars. Then wondering why they break down or run rough. I really want to service this Honda well and give it the beat oil you can get. (After watching YouTube videos of castrol and cars running million miles with them it seems case closed)

I emailed Honda UK and the recommended castrol edge 0w30.

I looked in service history and it was last serviced last year by Honda Mansfield using shell helix hx7 5w30. Well that's 3 things different to Honda UK recommend.

1. Shell not castrol

2. 5w30 not 0w30

3. Shell helix hx7 5w30 is semi synthetic not fully.

I dont like to think that the wrong stuff has been put in especially semi synthetic. I have emailed Honda Mansfield about it and they said the use hx7 5w30 and is signed off by Honda to use. I replied back saying isnt that semi synthetic and Honda says castrol edge 0w30. I have not had a reply. So I dont think I will be using that garage.

So in answer my original question. What is the best oil you can buy. Is it castrol edge? Mobil 1 or shell helix ultra (the full synthetic stuff)

I've spent hours googling about the best oils and them 3 brands come up as the best.

I need help picking one to look after the engine. Its 2013 so 6 years old and done 58000 miles.

Thank you

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - Engineer Andy

If you own the car's handbook/manual, it should be stated somewhere in there. It is in my 13yo Mazda3's handbook - there's a specific section for the car's specifications for maintenance. It won't say the make of oil, but it will the grade and type, e.g. 5W30 (as mine is) and whether it is mineral, semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil required. The same for all the other fluids, like the coolant, brake and (if it's one with a hydraulic system) power steering fluid.

If no-one here has any specifics on the make that's best (it may be just personal preference), then try Honda (UK) forums on the Web. You may find that the discrepancy between Honda UK head office's answer and the dealership may have been due to the former not having all the information - what's the specific model (no detail on petrol or diesel, engine size, etc) and manufacture date, as the engine spec may have changed when the model was refershed some time in the lifespan of that generation of CR-V.

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - skidpan

If the car is a diesel with a DPF (all cars sold after 2010 require one by law thus yours will have one being a 2013 car) using the wrong oil can cause permanent damage. A new dpf is possibly over £1000 and no warranty will cover it. DPF's require low saps oil to prevent ash build up. You need to find out what your car requires but as far as I am aware there are no semi synthetic low saps oil.

I suspect that Honda Mansfield do a "cheapo" service for cars out of warranty. Nissan in Chesterfield used to and they also used the wrong spec oil if you had that service which saved all of £20 and could potentially cost you a timing chain.

Edited by skidpan on 06/08/2019 at 18:52

That's my worry. Supposed to be c2 or c3 low saps.

Just been to check the receipt of the service last year at Honda Mansfield and it says 5.8l shell helix AG 5w30

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - edlithgow

i'd bet A LOT of money NO ONE KNOWS the answer to your question.

Part of the reason for this is that IT DOESN'T MATTER.

(The two bits in bold work as standard answers to many oil-related questions, especially if you exclude secret proprietary information, which most of it is)

Within specifications for things like DPF clogging (needs to be low SAP : Sulphated Ash and Phosphate) and VVT (Variable Valve Timing - very high viscosities MAY upset this. You don't give vehicle details so we don't know if these points are relevent) differences in wear are likely to be very small, requiring long test runs and large sample sizes for statistical significance.

Some will be slightly better than others, but you are asking for "the best". To know that you'd have to do exhaustive testing of ALL oils.

Never happen.

That's my worry. Supposed to be c2 or c3 low saps.

Just been to check the receipt of the service last year at Honda Mansfield and it says 5.8l shell helix AG 5w30

Shell say that''s a full synthetic Low SAPS oil meeting ACEA C3.

file:///C:/Users/ducked/Documents/Downloads/GPCDOC_GTDS_Shell_Helix_Ultra_AG_5W-30_(dexos2)_(en)_TDS.pdf

Manufacturers sometimes tell lies and some ""universal half-lies"" (e.g.definition of synthetic), may be built-in to specifications, but apart from that this is probably true. Seems like it should be fine.

If you want opinion (which is all you're going to get with a question like this) I would prefer the 5W30 because its likely to have slightly less viscosity modifier in it, but in practiice I'd bet it would be very difficult to demonstrate any significant difference.

5.8L of oil is quite a lot. From the listed capacities here

https://oil-change.info/honda-cr-v-engine-oil-capacity/

it best matches a CR-V 2.2i-DTEC 4WD (2010 – 2011) or CR-V 2.2i-DTEC 4WD (2012 – 2015)

I used the evil power of Google.

Enjoy your car. Keep an eye on the oil level because there are persistent reports of heavy fuel dilution on CR-V's, though I dunno if they apply to your particular engine.

Edited by edlithgow on 07/08/2019 at 05:23

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - Brit_in_Germany

Only the "Professional" version is C3 rated, the oil used is A3/B3 and on the face of it not therefore suitable for a DPF engined car as not being low SAPS, running the risk of ash build up in the filter.

www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubricants/helix-for-c...l.

www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubricants/helix-for-c...l

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 07/08/2019 at 10:05

Only the "Professional" version is C3 rated, the oil used is A3/B3 and on the face of it not therefore suitable for a DPF engined car as not being low SAPS, running the risk of ash build up in the filter.

www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubricants/helix-for-c...l.

www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubricants/helix-for-c...l

Both those links seem to be for the hx7 stuff which the OP now seems to be saying, based on looking at the reciept, was NOT used for the last service.

So it seems the snail slime was suitable.for service.

Here's an oil-obsessives discussion about the stuff that WAS apparently used.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4237233/Shell_Helix_Ultra_Professional

Edited by edlithgow on 07/08/2019 at 12:09

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - John F

I really want to service this Honda well and give it the best oil you can get.

Well, use that then. But why email Honda? Don't you have a handbook that tells you which oil to use? You have no guarantee that whoever replied to your email was an authority on the matter.

What is the best oil you can buy. Is it castrol edge? Mobil 1 or shell helix ultra (the full synthetic stuff)

I've spent hours googling about the best oils and them 3 brands come up as the best.

I think each will probably be as good as each other.

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - Bolt

Well, use that then. But why email Honda? Don't you have a handbook that tells you which oil to use? You have no guarantee that whoever replied to your email was an authority on the matter.

What is the best oil you can buy. Is it castrol edge? Mobil 1 or shell helix ultra (the full synthetic stuff)

I think each will probably be as good as each other.

There were reports of oil burning on some engines and the fix was to use 5 30 fully synth instead of the 0 30 I only know as the civic has the same engine and the same recommendation applied to that, as far as im aware that was the only reason for the change in oil spec

I think its a fair bet that they had access to the handbook, though I suppose you've no absolute guarantee they looked at it.

Hello.

Thanks everyone for your reply.

The invoice just says shell helix AG 5w30. When I emailed Honda Mansfield to ask what oil they are using in servicing my car the reply was "we use shell helix HX7AF 5w30". Yes AF.

So that doesn't match the invoice that just says AG. So not sure if it's the ultra or hx7 or professional or what.

It kinda matters cos on sort is synth and one type is semi. And now I'm worried about if it was c2 or c3.

You would think a main dealer would put the right stuff in. A modern engine with a dpf is not something you can mess about with.

Well it's due a service end of next month so I might buy the oil myself then i know it's right.just need to decide on castrol or Mobil

You' seem mostly concerned about the wrong thing.

The synthetic//blend thing matters in theory,, a bit.

I can't remember seeing evidence that in general it matters much in practice, unless perhaps you push the OCI far too far.

I have, OTOH, seen large scale studies that failed to demonstrate any systematic benefit of synthetic oil.

There are some examples of such failures, based on used oil analysis, in this discussion..

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/.

(There are better bases for assessing wear (For example, strip-down and measurement, or radioactive bearing materials) but they are much more difficult and expensive to do.)

I'd be more concerned about the low SAPS thing, which I think could matter.

Edited by edlithgow on 07/08/2019 at 16:14

Hello forum

I have had a reply back from Honda Mansfield.....

Good Afternoon Kris,

So I have had confirmed that for all vehicles fitted with DPF's we would use Shell Helix Ultra AG (Professional)

the only Oil we use Helix Ultra AG Professional, this is also a low ash oil designed for DPF.

I have attached Shell Helix spec sheet for you and also a picture of the tank in our workshop stating the oil.

Who knew oil can/could be so difficult. I hope this helps and you can get the oil needed.

So now that's all ironed out, they put the good stuff in the engine which makes me happy

So why did they say they used

shell helix hx7 5w30

on the invoice

when now they are saying they only use

Shell Helix Ultra AG (Professional)

A photo of a can of oil proves nothing does it. You could download one from the internet.

Unfortunately since its the previous owner who paid the bills you have absolutely no comeback against Honda Mansfield even if the engine grenades into a thousand pieces tomorrow.

Guess you just have to cross your fingers and hope.

On the invoice it just says shell helix AG 5w30. No mention of hx7 or ultra.

Then when I emailed to ask the first reply she said shell helix HX7AF 5w30.

Then when I queried it and explained my worries about synthetic and c2/c3 ratings she then emailed saying they use shell helix professional AG 5w30 with photo to show the container I suppose the AG matches the invoice. But like say photo proves nothing just got to trust their word.

So the question is now is the shell helix ultra professional AG the right stuff. Can it be bettered? Castrol? Mobil?

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - Brit_in_Germany

At least that can put your mind at rest. There is still the question as to whether a 0-30 or a 5-30 oil is best for your engine but the 5-30 will be a lot cheaper, like about half the cost.

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - focussed

I found that when using 0-30 Castrol Edge in the Honda 2.2 Cdti diesel in my 07 Civic, it would use a little oil, enough to drop the dipstick level about 6mm in about 6k miles, with 5-30 there was no discernable oil use over the same distance.

I found that when using 0-30 Castrol Edge in the Honda 2.2 Cdti diesel in my 07 Civic, it would use a little oil, enough to drop the dipstick level about 6mm in about 6k miles, with 5-30 there was no discernable oil use over the same distance.

That makes sense.

BUT with some (petrol, dunno about diesels) CR-V,s and Civics, the oil level increases, due to high fuel dilution, so dipstick levels need to be interpreted with a bit of caution.

It occurs to me that a company with a persistent fuel dilution problem (Lets call it, oooh..., for the sake argument...HONDA) could make it apparently go away by specifying a skinnier oil that gets burnt more.

As you gain fuel you lose oil and the dipstick stays the same.

I do love a good conspiracy theory.

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - BrownEliza

Did anyone find it? Which oil brand is good? How often should I go to garage to service my CR-V?? Best Thermostat Review

It occurs to me that a company with a persistent fuel dilution problem (Lets call it, oooh..., for the sake argument...HONDA) could make it apparently go away by specifying a skinnier oil that gets burnt more.

I guess you dont like Honda then lol.

Let me guess your a VW Audi or BMW man

I guess you dont like Honda then lol.

Let me guess your a VW Audi or BMW man

Honda might have too much technical integrity to pull something like that deliberately, though it might occur as "collateral benefit" of skinnier oil

Volkswagen, OTOH.....

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - madf

My Jazz uses 0w-20 oil and burns none and uses none..As for oil dilution...it's a petrol engine..

Conspiracy theories are usually espoused by illogical thinkers.

My Jazz uses 0w-20 oil and burns none and uses none..As for oil dilution...it's a petrol engine..

Conspiracy theories are usually espoused by illogical thinkers.

Right,

So your Jazz proves the complete lack of oil dilution in ALL Honda's, and petrol engines don''t...no wait...CANNOT....apparently.....;suffer from oil dilution....because.....????.....can't imagine......but whatever your reason, you must THINK its very logical.

I've had two Honda's. They were both great.....

This proves that I've two Honda's and they were, IMO, both great.

That's it.

No conspiracy theory applies to Honda engines. They do not suffer oil dilution problems in my experience.

No conspiracy theory applies to Honda engines. They do not suffer oil dilution problems in my experience.

Not mine either and I`ve owned more than a few over the years, and not heard of one blow up without severe lack of oil( owners fault), like Toyota they go on forever

and as far as I am aware they have an overfill system that burns excess oil off

Not mine either and I`ve owned more than a few over the years, and not heard of one blow up without severe lack of oil( owners fault), like Toyota they go on forever

Ah, now we are getting somewhere. THREE "In my experiences" and one "as far as I am aware", based on maybe as many as 20 cars and who knows how many fully analytical looks at the dipstick.

So this must be pure fiction then

http://www.hondaproblems.com/oil-dilution/'

Funny, I thought this was

"they have an overfill system that burns excess oil off

but thats only because "as far as i am aware" I've never heard of it.

I suppose you could get a dpf regeneration system to do that, though it doesn't seem a great idea and that'd only apply to recent diesels, rather than the blanket comments above.

Ah, now we are getting somewhere. THREE "In my experiences" and one "as far as I am aware", based on maybe as many as 20 cars and who knows how many fully analytical looks at the dipstick.

So this must be pure fiction then

http://www.hondaproblems.com/oil-dilution/'

Funny, I thought this was

"they have an overfill system that burns excess oil off

but thats only because "as far as i am aware" I've never heard of it.

I suppose you could get a dpf regeneration system to do that, though it doesn't seem a great idea and that'd only apply to recent diesels, rather than the blanket comments above.

I see you mean the new engine, which I thought you were talking about the older engines.

I read about it last year, and I gathered that most problems were due to driving round the corner and back, ie a few hundred yards to shop and back on a regular basis, which older cars (not just Honda)had the same problem

the vapour is not being burnt off and instead washing the oil back into the sump because it not being driven enough, but have heard the same thing occurring on other cars for the same reason, so maybe people are not being told to do this or they don't read the manual? (so whats new)

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - gordonbennet

Isn't that why short journey routines have always come under arduous or harsh usage, where the now quite ridiculous oil change intervals of modern vehicles is sensibly ignored, doubly so with the small sump capacities of modern engines.

HJ's common sense argument of annual changes or 10k whichever comes sooner is as good a regime as any, me? twice a year on my car with semi synth.

Isn't that why short journey routines have always come under arduous or harsh usage, where the now quite ridiculous oil change intervals of modern vehicles is sensibly ignored, doubly so with the small sump capacities of modern engines.

HJ's common sense argument of annual changes or 10k whichever comes sooner is as good a regime as any, me? twice a year on my car with semi synth.

I keep being told I`m ridiculous in telling short journey drivers to service around 6k mark as they used to in the 70s, most motors then were 6k oil change only, not oil filter as well, which on turbos was 6k oil and filter

apart from my warranty car I will go back to 6k oil filter change even though Honda do not agree!

but do remember cars back then had the same problems due to people driving to shops doctors hospital anywhere local and engine never got up to normal temp, not that they accepted the reason for there problems but there you go

Edited by bolt on 11/08/2019 at 18:31

Honda’s story is it’s a short-trip-in-the-cold problem, but a lot of owners, many of them in California with oil analysis support, seem to disagree.

Its not clear that the dilution accelerates wear significantly, but starting with 0W20, per Honda US recommendation, seems like a bad idea.

The specific issue above is suggested to be a boosted direct injection problem, (leading to high fuel blow-by in combination with low ring tension, which is used for lower friction/higher fuel economy) and may also be partly a result of the engine management system protectively injecting excess fuel in response to actual or potential LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition)

Suggested work-arounds include thicker oil, higher octane fuel, avoiding lugging the engine, and avoiding short-trips-in-the-cold.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4989138/honda-cr-v-oil-dilution-only-a-tiny-fraction-of-incidents

https://www.10thcivicforum.com/forum/169-2016-honda-civic-problems-issues/

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4557173/Fighting_fuel_dilution:_Honda_

Honda’s story is it’s a short-trip-in-the-cold problem, but a lot of owners, many of them in California with oil analysis support, seem to disagree.

Its not clear that the dilution accelerates wear significantly, but starting with 0W20, per Honda US recommendation, seems like a bad idea.

The specific issue above is suggested to be a boosted direct injection problem, (leading to high fuel blow-by in combination with low ring tension, which is used for lower friction/higher fuel economy) and may also be partly a result of the engine management system protectively injecting excess fuel in response to actual or potential LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition)

Suggested work-arounds include thicker oil, higher octane fuel, avoiding lugging the engine, and avoiding short-trips-in-the-cold.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4989138/honda-cr-v-oil-dilution-only-a-tiny-fraction-of-incidents

https://www.10thcivicforum.com/forum/169-2016-honda-civic-problems-issues/

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4557173/Fighting_fuel_dilution:_Honda_

So part of the problem could be not using the revs which Honda engines like and are designed for, its partly the owners who (as I`ve seen before and driven behind) like to pootle along doing very low speed in high gears which puts an excessive load on the engine

I`m not making excuses as to why Honda cannot be blamed as I have no idea how the cars are driven, but it doesn't appear to be that bad a problem, I think (maybe wrong) the oil burning was a worse problem on the older Diesel 2.2 not too sure on that though

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - gordonbennet

I don't get why people worry about a bit of oil usage, i'd rather be putting a pint in every thousand miles, than be blissfully happy my engine isn't using any oil whilst in truth the oil that really is being burned is being replaced by that well known lubricant, Diesel fuel.

Oil is so cheap, unless you buy it by 1 litre bottles, or pay for it by the 'unit' on dealer workshop services, it's hardly worth worrying about.

And i really don't get the people who think because a car uses oil without actually smoking like the Flying Scotsman, that the engine or car itself must be replaced because it's costing a £25 5 litre drum of oil a year in top ups.

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - FP

I do find the way this thread has developed a bit - dare I say it? - anal.

The original question was asking what the best "oil brand" for the OP's car was. My answer would be: forget the brand - just find out what the oil specification is supposed to be and buy the cheapest oil that fits the spec.

Does anything else really matter?

The original question was asking what the best "oil brand" for the OP's car was. My answer would be: forget the brand - just find out what the oil specification is supposed to be and buy the cheapest oil that fits the spec.

You can put it how you like but a lot of threads end up away from original post, this ones no exception lol.

I find it funny how some threads drift from original question and doubt it will be the last....

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - FP

I know thread drift happens and I'm not really concerned about that. It was the way this one had drifted that I found bizarre.

I know thread drift happens and I'm not really concerned about that. It was the way this one had drifted that I found bizarre.

Yes I know, I agree, but you do get em occasionally- bizarre

Yes I know, I agree, but you do get em occasionally- bizarre

Phooey.

OP wanted to know the "best oil"". That's an unanswerable question, but its of interest to the OP, and a discussion of various oil characteristics and possible criteria follows naturally from it.

If its not of interest to you, don't read it.

Well, that doesn't matter either.

Does anything really matter?

but do remember cars back then had the same problems due to people driving to shops doctors hospital anywhere local and engine never got up to normal temp, not that they accepted the reason for there problems but there you go

Not sure when "back then" was, but, assuming its a while ago, those cars would probably be running thickish stuff like 20W50 (I still do while I can get it) and using a choke for cold starts (I use butane), which is supposed to use more petrol than fuel injection enrichment, (though I dunno how that is controlled.)

And yet I don't remember my oil climbing the dipstick, and I lived in Edinburgh and Aberdeen, where coldish starts were quite common, and I hadn't thought of the butane trick then.

Progress?

Not sure when "back then" was, but, assuming its a while ago, those cars would probably be running thickish stuff like 20W50 (I still do while I can get it) and using a choke for cold starts (I use butane), which is supposed to use more petrol than fuel injection enrichment, (though I dunno how that is controlled.)

And yet I don't remember my oil climbing the dipstick, and I lived in Edinburgh and Aberdeen, where coldish starts were quite common, and I hadn't thought of the butane trick then.

Progress?

Going back to the 70s this problem, if your getting fuel wash the oil used will not matter only in that it takes a bit longer to wash thicker oil away so regardless what you use petrol still washes oil away

fuel injection is controlled by the ecu as is the timing, the ecu is told what the temperature is and controls the injector solenoid which controls the amount of fuel being injected into the bore ie the more fuel needed the longer the injector stays open, there is more to it than that but that's the way it works

a carb will still give an enriched mixture on startup if the temp is low unless the temp control is bypassed to the carb, though some were water temp controlled

The point about the thicker oil was that it won't burn off as much as the currently fashionable skinny stuff, so it won't have the same tendency to hide fuel dilution, yet still I don't remember ever seeing any sign of it.

(This is of course "in my experience" anecdotal evidence, which I had a bit of a sneer at above. I'm not aware of any historical data on the scale of this problem, but its currently being discussed as one of the "collateral damages" of boosted direct injection engines (petrol) and dpf regeneration. (diesel) )

Higher viscosity oil will obviously also resist the viscosity loss effect of fuel dilution better, since it is starting from a higher viscosity, but that wasn't the point.

I think all my UK petrol cars had manual chokes (gives you control but with the risk of forgetting to turn it off) apart from my last one (a Nissan Sunny) which had an automatic choke which malfunctioned, so I disabled it.

Still always started, even in Aberdeen covered in sheet ice, but took a long time to warm up. The butane trick (feed plumbed in to the air intake from a stove cylinder) would probably have been a lot more useful there than here, but I didn't think of it.

Might have needed propane in an Aberdeen winter.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/08/2019 at 03:38

Its quite simple like others have stated.

USE OIL TO THE SPEC DETAILED IN THE HANDBOOK/SERVICE BOOK.

BRAND DOES NOT MATTER BUT FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR OWN SANITY GO FOR ONE FROM A REPUTABLE SELLER/BRAND. (I am quite happy as an example using Asda oil - the shape of the container suggests its rebranded Millers).

With modern fuel injected cars potential issues caused by incorrect use of the choke no longer exist. Modern cars start with no need for spray in snake oils, in truth how would you get such a spray into a modern induction system.

STOP OVERTHINKING WHAT OIL TO USE. THE ANSWER IS IN THE HANDBOOK.

Its quite simple like others have stated.

USE OIL TO THE SPEC DETAILED IN THE HANDBOOK/SERVICE BOOK.

BRAND DOES NOT MATTER BUT FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR OWN SANITY GO FOR ONE FROM A REPUTABLE SELLER/BRAND. (I am quite happy as an example using Asda oil - the shape of the container suggests its rebranded Millers).

With modern fuel injected cars potential issues caused by incorrect use of the choke no longer exist. Modern cars start with no need for spray in snake oils, in truth how would you get such a spray into a modern induction system.

STOP OVERTHINKING WHAT OIL TO USE. THE ANSWER IS IN THE HANDBOOK.

It isn't simple. Its VERY complicated. They have to make it SEEM simple for the punters because they are...well...the punters.

I thought I was in the technical forum, but if I've strayed into the "Terry and June Go Motoring" forum my comments were certainly misplaced.

Re "With modern fuel injected cars potential issues caused by incorrect use of the choke no longer exist."

The context was 70's cars. That's why 70s cars were mentioned. Because it was about cars in the 70's.

Chokes were mentioned because cars in the 70's (and a couple of decades beyond) had chokes.

Some modern cars have their own fuel dilution problems, (sometimes severe) with which cars with chokes were being (favorably but speculatively) compared, but you'd have to read and understand those pesky complicated WURDZ to get that, .

RE "Modern cars start with no need for spray in snake oils, in truth how would you get such a spray into a modern induction system." I suppose this is a reference to my butane trick. Butane = snake oil, huh? Now who's making the simple complicated?

As above, the context was cars with chokes. If I had reason to do it to a fuel-injected car I don't see why it would be a problem, but I doubt it'd be worthwhile, except perhaps to reduce fuel dilution issues with diesel dpf regeneration, which apparently can be a desperate situation..

If I ever try it I'll let yáll know.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/08/2019 at 16:30

The lunatics are taking over the asylum, actually I think 2 of them think they are well and truly in charge.

Honda CR-V - Best oil brand for my Honda crv - madf

The lunatics are taking over the asylum, actually I think 2 of them think they are well and truly in charge.

I despair. Amatuers quoting oopinions as facts...

I despair. Amatuers quoting oopinions as facts...

Know what you mean, though your comment would be better supported by a quote, otherwise it just looks like one of those snide, unspecified put-downs that this forum sadlly sometimes features.

Here’s a possible candidate

Engines are designed to run on a certain grade that varies with climate to some degree. Put in a thicker grade and not only will that put extra stresses on ageing components such as the oil pump but it will also take longer to circulate to the top of the engine accelerating wear to components such as cams and followers.

Its a bodge that may have worked in the 60's with old clockwork engines but the OP's engine is a modern unit that is designed for modern thinner but better lubricating oils.

Without evidence that's opinion, even if it is received opinion.

Here's another

"My Jazz uses 0w-20 oil and burns none and uses none..As for oil dilution...it's a petrol engine.."

Without evidence from oil analysis, even that iis an opinion (The first bit. I don't understand the "petrol engine" bit.)

Edited by edlithgow on 15/08/2019 at 03:08

Well, I assume I'm supposed to be one of the lunatics. Surely you have to be the other?

OK The OP asked what was the best brand and we explained why that was an unanswerable question (NO ONE KNOWS / IT DOESN’T MATTER)

The OP was confused by the difference in Honda's recommended 0W30 and the 5W30 that his garage used, and thought they might have used unsuitable oil.

We established that was unlikely to be the case.

Unlike a difference in brands, the difference between 0W30 and the 5W30 may be real and detectable, and people noted two differences (cost and oil consumption) in the discussion. I dunno how wide an oil viscosity spread is allowed (as opposed to recommended) by Honda (I had a quick search for owners manuals but they were all 0W20 and from the spelling probably aimed at the US market.) Note that difference from European recommendations all you “The handbook is Holy Wriit”Jihadists.

Mention of some current lubrication issues was condemned as Honda Heresy in the court of received opinion, and now the usual suspects are doing their thing.

I think my work here is done.

Enjoy your car OP, and keep an eye on the dipstick.

You might be interested in “The blotter spot test”(Google it) which is claimed to detect fuel dilution, though I dunno how sensitive it is

Forgot to mention that the OP is now apparently considering Millers 5W30, so he's off the blind obedience to Honda recommendation, and he's off the blind obedience to big brand advertising.

Quite a shift.

At the risk of sounding patronising (not my intent), well done OP.

The original handbook oil spec for the 2.2 honda diesel in 2007 when I bought my Civic new was 5w-30 fully synthetic. This was changed shortly afterwards by Honda to 0w-30 to improve fuel consumption, and improve the CO2 figure.