Water is leaking through a windscreen replacement - is the dealer liable for selling me a faulty car?

I have a 2012 Vauxhall Insignia. I noticed dampness in the drivers footwell so I took it to a Vauxhall dealership under warranty. After a long investigation, they came to the conclusion that it was an aftermarket windscreen leaking. This is not covered under warranty and I was charged for investigation work. I tried to explain that the car was sold to me by them with the replacement windscreen. Vauxhall says there is nothing they can do and I will have to pay for replacement or a re-seal. Is there anything I can do to say they are liable? I have owned the car now for two years.

I doubt that the dealer who sold you the car can be held liable after two years has passed since the sale. You could attempt to invoke Clegg v Olle Andersson (trading as Nordic Marine), House of Lords, 2003, on the basis that the car was sold to you in a fundamentally faulty state: it was sold to you with the windscreen fitted incorrectly. In that case it would be you versus the dealer who sold you the car in Small Claims in the County Court. See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/