Is flushing the aircon system to 'kill bacteria' just a sales ploy?

I was advised that the aircon in my wife's DS3 would need to be flushed to kill the bacteria in the system. Is this a sales ploy? The car had a pollen filter.

The best way to kill bacteria that grows in the condensation in the car's ventilation trunking is to turn the heater to max, open all the windows, leave the engine idling, and get out and stand beside the car for 15 minutes. Maximum heat will kill off the bacteria. Standing beside the car helps ensure it doesn't get stolen.