My daughter's car was hit by another car and we now can't contact him - how do we make him pay for the damage?

My daughter's Renault Clio was hit in the back at a roundabout exit by a Ford Ka. The Clio sustained some damage, my six year old granddaughter and her friend were very upset and crying when this happened. The driver of the Ka offered his phone number to my daughter but nothing else. My daughter was more concerned with the kids, so she was satisfied when the driver of the Ka admitted liability and promised to pay for any damage. My daughter did get a witness name. The Ka driver has since been unobtainable. The damage is only around £400 and my daughter is reluctant to contact her insurance company because of excess and rising premium costs. I have now found out his name and address but I'm unsure as to what to do next. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

You can go on MIB and get his insurance details: www.mib.org.uk/managing-insurance-data/the-motor-i.../

Then claim via his insurer, contact a claims management company or a solicitor. Send him a text advising you require his details and that if you have no response in 24 hours you will notify the police that he has left the scene without exchanging details or attempting to afterwards. You could also write him recorded delivery letter and do it that way.