Should a new water pump last longer than seven months, 10,000 miles?

My Hyundai Santa Fe had a new water pump and cam belt last October. I've just been informed that the head gasket has gone as a result of the new water pump going. Should the new water pump last longer than seven months, 10,000 miles? If so, do we have any comeback on the garage who fitted the new water pump to help fund the repair of the head gasket? We've been quoted £2500.

Asked on 18 May 2017 by KC247

Yes, it should. And yes, as long as the garage both supplied and fitted the new timing belt and waterpump, it has some liability. If you supplied the parts, it doesn't.