Slow drivers

Four decades ago when I took my driving test it was possible to fail for "failing to adjust vehicle's speed to road conditions", in other words going too slowly.

Recently I have noticed a growing number of drivers who take, for example, a 50mph speed limit as an instruction to travel at 40 mph and a 60 mph limit as an excuse to stick below 50mph. This can be very frustrating for those behind these over-cautious folk.

Is there anything that following motorists can do to speed these people up without being accused of "road rage"?

Unfortunately not. They think they are saving money on fuel and that they have a right to drive slowly and hold everyone else up. Overtake them quickly, as soon as you safely can. And warn them with a toot of your horn as you pull alongside in case they didn't look in their mirrors.
Tags: driving safety