A car we sold was involved in an accident. Why has the claim gone onto our policy?

We sold our car to a garage and it was then involved in an accident. We were in the middle of changing insurers for our new car and the claim has gone against us even though we were not the owners of the car anymore. What now?

Asked on 26 April 2021 by Samantha Brown

Regretfully, if there was no other insurance policy in place, it will be recorded on your policy. You need to inform your insurer that they have no insurable interest in the vehicle as it was no longer owned by you and that the contract of insurance is no longer valid. Advise the insurer that the vehicle was being used by the garage and that the claim should be referred to their trade insurer.
Tags: insurance