Can I have UK car insurance if I live abroad for six months of the year but leave my car here?

I have a UK home and UK car. If I live abroad for six months of year and leave my UK car at home in garage, can I still have UK car insurance if I am not resident in the UK during this period?

Asked on 13 August 2020 by Chris Nelsen

Answered by Tim Kelly
As long as you spend more time in the UK than you do abroad, Yes you can. You can also arrange for the vehicle to have "lay up" cover, whereby your question then becomes irrelevant.
Tags: insurance
Similar questions
We were due to buy a used car and sold our car in readiness to buy and, therefore, just transfer the insurance. However, we were unable to come to a deal so walked away. We've got 6 weeks left on the current...
I've a 2004 Suzuki Alto and the insurance quotes are insane. Seven times what I paid for the car. I've been driving 11 years with no claims or convictions, although I haven't got any No Claims Bonus because,...
I bumped another car whilst parking. No damage was done and neither party claimed but I lost four years of No Claims Dicsount. Is this fair?

Ask Honest John

Value my car