Dream car or Budget, which comes first? Tell us your thoughts | No thanks

An error by my son's insurer meant he was stopped for no insurance and now has to go to court - what should we do?

My son-in-law was stopped by the police for driving without insurance. He had given instruction to the insurance company but, due to an admin error, the renewal was not processed. The insurance company have admitted this error in writing and confirmed that, had the vehicle been involved in an accident, he would have been covered. The police do not appear to be interested and have advised that they intend to prosecute. Your advice would be welcome.

Asked on 10 August 2020 by Liz

Answered by Tim Kelly
Do not pay the fine and request to attend court. When at court, present to the judge the information from the insurance company that it was the insurers clerical error that led to the vehicle not being insured. The case should then get dismissed.
Similar questions
With reference to the email by CK, as a magistrate I have two comments to make. 1: When I am on the bench I do not regard the evidence by the police as being greater than that of a defendant or any other...
I have just received a Notice of Intention to Prosecute from Essex Police. This states that I have exceeded a temporary limit of 50 miles an hour on a motorway road works section on the M25, which was...
Your advice to KS who was speeding to his pregnant wife fortuitously comes after a report in the Daily Telegraph of a police officer caught driving at 68mph in a 30mph zone because his baby was sick. He...

Ask Honest John

Value my car