Should my write off value be higher because I had a towbar fitted?

My 2018 Volvo V60 has been written off by the insurers as Cat S. After a lot of negotiation, the engineer agreed to add £340 to the what he says is the market value of the car to account for the fact that the vehicle had a Volvo fitted retractable towbar. By his own account, finding a replacement car with a towbar will be next to impossible but luckily it is something that can be retrofit (although for a cost more like £1000). To my mind the fair market value for my car would be market value + the actual cost of installing a towbar. Do you think I would have any success pursuing this with the ombudsman, or is that a waste of time? The insurer told me the towbar is basically worthless in the valuation. I just want to be able to buy back what I had before the incident. Thank you.

Asked on 23 July 2020 by Tracy Rickett

In our opinion, the towbar is worth nothing relative to the market value in the used car market. But, if that's the case, request they removed the old towbar and give it to you if they are not considering it as part of the value. It's your property by that line of thinking.