How can I get a Cat C marker removed from my car?

I am trying to sell my 2004 Lexus RX. We bought it in 2013 and it had had two previous owners. When going through its details I was told there was a Cat C marker against it - however it was registered in 1998 (i.e. six years before the car was registered) and the details were for a Ford Sierra. I was told it is wrong and the Cat C had probably followed the personalised number plate of the owner before us. How do I go about getting the incorrect Cat C removed?

Asked on 21 February 2020 by Richard

Answered by Tim Kelly
You would need to contact the insurer that categorised the vehicle and advise them that they have made a clerical error. (they will advise you that they will not speak or deal with you). You need to advise in writing that you will be pursuing a claim under the "interference of goods act" for the "diminished value of the car as a result of having a Cat C marker against it". This may cause them to change their mind, look into it for you and remove it. However, the vehicle was not yours at the point it was categorised, the statute of limitations which allows you to "seek rise to a claim" is six years which has now passed. This means you have no legal entitlement to do the above (but the insurer may not have cottoned on to this when you contact them) so worth a try.
Similar questions
I recently purchased a 2007 Vauxhall Astra knowing it was a Cat C write off. The problem is the garage didn't show me evidence of what damage was caused, just that it had had a shunt from behind. Was he...
I have found a lovely little car with two owners from new but it's a Cat C. Is it safe to buy? The MoT history is impeccable and it has lots of receipts.
I've bought a Category C write off. Is there a way to check how much damage was actually done?

Value my car