As part of my job working on the motorway I have to carry out rolling road blocks - what are the insurance implications?

As part of my job working on the motorway I have to carry out rolling road blocks and stop my works vehicle in the carriageway to protect either broken down or accident damage vehicles. Sometimes our vehicles are struck by third party vehicles - the driver may not be even in the vehicle but it could affect my own personal insurance. This has been raised through work but I am not getting anywhere. Who can I speak to to gain some advice?

Asked on 18 February 2020 by Darren Greenhalgh

Answered by Tim Kelly
This is an area where I have encountered the same lack of response as yourself. I would expect anyone insured via a business, police force, traffic control etc to have their "personal" details excluded on the CUE/ Miafta database, If you have an incident while working for someone, the company is "vicariously liable" for you and I would have then thought they would become in affect "your agent" if you were then claiming. However, this does not appear to be the case, and people are being penalised due to their occupation.

I have a friend who is a traffic officer and has been involved in a number of incidents, they have then been penalised personally. The only thing I can think of is in raising it with your local MP. I would certainly place your request to your Human Resources in writing and request a meeting. If you are a member of a trade union, I would raise it with a Union Rep or shop steward.
Similar questions
I'm looking for an MPV for carting around me, my wife and two dogs, with space for an ageing mother and (fold up wheelchair) plus stock for our pub! It will cover short trips and around 7000 miles a year....
I am about to start a house transformation and wanting to be hands on and keep costs down I thought I could buy a temporary van rather than use my car to take stuff to the tip. I want to ensure it meets...
I need a large 4x4 vehicle (we live on a farm), that will be used mostly for short journeys, that I can throw my gardening kit in - I'm a self employed gardener - and we can use to go to the tip, as well...

Ask Honest John

Value my car