I have identified someone who hit my parked car and drove off - what should I do next?

My parked car was reversed into while in a private car park. The other party did not stop and drove off. I have the details of the other party's car from CCTV, as well as clear proof that the accident was their fault. I have reported the incident to the police and also obtained the details of their insurance from AskMID.

I have today made a claim directly with their insurer, sending evidence of the incident. Is there anything else that I need to do, for example, tell my insurers? I would also like to choose the garage that does the repairs - is this acceptable?

Asked on 7 January 2020 by phs3272

Answered by Tim Kelly
You have the right to chose whomever you wish to repair your car - "your car, your choice" and do not let anyone tell you differently. You only need to notify your insurer when they hold a liability i.e, under the Road Traffic Act 1988 when a third party seeks to rise to a claim, though you will need to notify them that you have been involved in an incident when requoting at renewal.

I would suggest not dealing directly with the at-fault insurer, it is the worse way to claim. Use a claims/accident management company. Should anything go wrong dealing directly with the at-fault insurer, you have no rights of recourse via the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Similar questions
I parked my Volkswagen Transporter (195.5cm height) in a NCP car park last week stating max height 197cm. My van got stuck in the actual barrier stating 197cm but on measuring the barrier was actually...
My car was parked in a private car park and I returned to find damage down the side of the car caused by the car next to it. The person concerned has admitted liability and is claiming on her insurance...
Would a payment from my own funds to a third party for minor damage caused in a car park need to be reported to my insurer. There is no damage claim re my own vehicle

Value my car