Are carmakers swapping paper service histories for digital alternatives?

I bought a pre-reg Nissan Qashqai from an approved dealership and the first annual service is due next month. There was no service history book with the car and the dealership is unable/unwilling to provide one despite several requests. Are these books for sale or are all the details now online?

Asked on 4 January 2020 by qed

Most manufacturers are now moving to keeping service histories separately online to combat the EC ruling that cars may be serviced anywhere within warranty as long as the services are to the prescribed manufacturer standards. More vital than ever to keep a folder of receipted service invoices.