£850 has been deducted from my car insurance payout due an error - can I fight it?

My car was written-off four months ago. The majority of the insurance payout came from the third party, while the remaining £850 was due to come from the actual salvage of the car. I have been chasing the money for the salvage for the past few weeks. First I was told that the category for the write-off had been changed and the salvage would be less than what I originally agreed (and signed). Next, I was sent a letter to say I would receive part-salvage from the garage and the rest would be recovered from the third party. I have now been told that due to an error the engineer has made the third party won't cover the shortfall of monies. Do you know what I can do about this?

Asked on 20 December 2019 by Leisha Owen

Answered by Tim Kelly
Raise a complaint with the insurer, none of this is your issue. Then escalate to the FOS. It does, however, sound like you have dealt with a claims management company or the at-fault insurer. Whoever sent the letter with the offer is liable. If you are dealing with a Claims management company,request their professional indemnity insurers details and advise you wish to make a claim of them. That should kick start things moving for you. Alternatively, raise a small claim
Similar questions
I received a phone call this morning from a mobile number claiming to be from the Motor Insurance Bureau. They knew my name and asked if I or any members of my family had been involved in an accident in...
I was stopped by the police yesterday after my car came up as having no insurance. This was a shock as I have been paying £370 a month on a policy that started just a few months ago (when I passed my test)....
My wife and I, both 71, own two cars. We very occasionally drive the other's car, but it's rare. Historically the insurance (Saga, with a long and protected NCD) and reg docs for both cars is in my name....

Ask Honest John

Value my car