I was sold a car and wasn’t informed that it had been a "total loss" - is there anything I can do?

I bought a car seven months ago. On the day of purchase I was told it was listed as a Category N; however, the dealership made it clear to me that no bodywork damage was ever done to the car and it had a whole body respray due to “acid being thrown on it”. I have now found out from my insurance company that it WAS involved in a collision last year and was deemed a "total loss”. What should I do?

Asked on 7 December 2019 by Alex Tanner

Answered by Honest John
The dealer has blatantly committed a criminal and civil offence of 'Misleading Omissions' under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. You can demand your money back, or a 'reasonable' satisfactory settlement with the threat of criminal and civil proceedings. See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/ (You will have to scroll some way down.)
Similar questions
I've paid the deposit for a used car but have since found out from the insurance company that it had been in an accident. Although the dealership has no record of this, can I cancel my agreement?
Can I expect that a dealer will have done a car check and will know the car history if I purchase a car from them? Can I trust them not to sell me a car that is still on finance or has been written off?...
My sister has put a £200 deposit on a £3990 2012 Hyundai i10 1.2 today. When phoning for an insurance quote, the call centre operative asked her if she had an outstanding claim on the car from 2014. She...


Value my car