What will diesel car prices look like in 18 months?

I'm changing jobs and want to take the car allowance option. The role will mean driving 30k miles per year and I had planned on running the next car for 12-18 months until better electric options come onto the market. The residual value will, therefore, be important but also high mpg capabilities. I can't decide on petrol or diesel, what do you think?

Two problems selling a diesel car on in 12-18 months. One is the extra 30k - 45k miles you will put on it. And the other is the fact it's a diesel. Better, in my opinion, to seek out a self-charging hybrid such as a Toyota Prius that will do 50mpg plus and has proven to be very reliable over high mileages and low maintenance. If you can get a Toyota C-HR hybrid within budget, even better, but the market for used Prius is better because private hire taxi drivers want them.