Why is there water in the footwell of my car?

Any ideas of how water is entering my Volkswagen Eos and settling in the passenger footwell with no signs or evidence of any leaks via the roof drains or doors? I've cleared out the leaves and rubbish from the air intake under the bonnet and windscreen. The water in the footwell is quite considerable and is creating pools when the carpet is compressed.

I think you will find that the drains either side of the bulkhead vent well that you have been clearing out will be blocked by decomposing leaves. That gives nowhere for rainwater to go except via the pollen filter into the footwell. You need to clean the drains out with something like a teapot spout brush. It could also be that the pollen filter waterproof cover or its seal is damaged and the pollen filter will need to be replaced anyway because it will be sodden wet.