What do the letters such as V or H mean at the end of tyre sizes?

I am about to buy new tyres for my car but the one thing I am a little confused about is the end letter H or V etc. It is slightly cheaper by a few pounds to get the H. I don't go over 80 miles an hour but is the tyre makeup different for the V for example? Would I be better off buying the V instead of the H or S or T?

Asked on 26 November 2019 by graham mccormack

If the car was originally fitted with V rated tyres then you have to fit V rated or get your insurer's permission to fit the lower-rated H tyres otherwise if you have a crash you could find yourself uninsured. Nothing to do with the speed you drive. Everything to do with the spec for the car.