What do I do if I buy a Cat N back from the insurer?

Our insurer has deemed our car beyond repair and put a Cat N write off on the car. We can buy back the car - it only needs a front door and a small bit of bodywork - but what do I do next once they have sent me the remainder of the money, do I need to contact the DVLA and do I need another MoT?

Asked on 29 October 2019 by Martin Smith

Answered by Tim Kelly
Firstly, is the car a total loss? I.e, do the repairs exceed the market value? Request a copy of the engineers report to find out. If the repair costs are less than the market value, then the car is not a total loss and your entitlement is the cost of repair inclusive of VAT. If the car is a total loss" being a Cat N there is no legal requirement to do anything.
Similar questions
I know insurers require a new MoT for a vehicle that was a Cat N write off. They have given me 14 days to obtain one but is it a legal requirement? Could I still drive on the existing MoT? Also if it fails...
Is insuring a Cat N vehicle more expensive and if so so by what percentage? My vehicle was hit from behind at low speed (about 10mph) with very little damage sustained. It has been deemed a Cat N write...
My daughter bought back her Cat N write off Vauxhall Astra from Direct Line. Now her insurers have put her insurance up 300%. Is it because of the car being a written off?


Value my car