Can I insist on an OEM windscreen replacement through my insurance?

Yesterday my windscreen was hit by a flying pebble. A 'spider's web' has appeared in the screen and a replacement is required. Can I insist on an OEM replacement?

Asked on 15 October 2019 by Bubo Bubo

It depends on the vehicle and the contractural wording. You can always insist in OEM, though the insurer may limit their liability up to which cost it covers. If your vehicle has ADAS systems, I would be arguing with your insurer that should they fit a non-OEM replacement, it may interfere with the ADAS systems which may lead to an unsafe vehicle being put back on the road contrary to the road traffic act.