If a new car develops a serious fault should I insist the supplying dealer fixes it?

If a car bought from a major franchised dealership develops a serious problem within six months would it make more sense to insist the original dealer fix it for free rather than make a warranty claim at a different, but much closer, dealership? I am assuming that a different dealer wouldn't be liable for the original dealership supplying a faulty vehicle, even though they belonged to the same parent franchise.

Yes. If a car has a significant fault that could have been present or developing on date of sale within six months of date of sale, then the dealer can usually be held liable and an aftermarket warranty would not cover it anyway because you can't insure against an existing problem.