Why does my Subaru have an intermittent ABS fault?

My Subaru Outback ABS and traction light keeps coming on. The dealer had a quick look with a diagnostic tool that gave the pump as a problem. It then went off for a week. It has come on and off several times since. I cannot see lose damaged sensors. Is it likely to be the very expensive ABS control unit?

Asked on 22 September 2019 by Martin blundell

If it is the ABS/ESP module, then the fault is probably with the brake pressure sensor inside it that is sensitive to contaminated brake fluid (needs fresh fluid every 2 years). The existing module can probably be sent away to www.ecutesting.com to be remanufactured for about £400, plus removing, carriage and re-fitting. Obviously, first eliminate wheel hub reluctor rings and sensors as the cause of the problem.