I come from Australia to visit the UK - what's the best way to insure a car for just three months a year?

I visit my daughter in UK for about three months each year, sometimes in two separate visits of about six weeks, sometimes for three months. I have a clean Australian driving licence and am aged 80. Buying a car and storing it with my daughter seems to make economic sense as against hiring but I need your advice on how best to insure for one or two periods each year?

Asked on 16 September 2019 by John Cogley

Answered by Tim Kelly
Not having a UK licence, or a permanent abode in the UK will cause you a lot of issues with this. In fact, I will be very doubtfull that you will be able to do it. Your age will also be a significant factor in this, as insurer become more and more reluctant to insure any one over the age of 75.

The only insurer/broker that may be able to assist is www.keithmichaels.co.uk/
Similar questions
Now I’m retired I spend four to five months each year in Europe, where I drive my Dutch partners car, leaving my own car safely locked in my garage at home. This means I am paying all that money for insurance...
Where is the best place to get short term cover while our car is being sold?
My son is a U.S resident returning only for holidays and family occasions. Can he renew his shortly expiring UK driving licence using my home address? This would help to keep him insured on motor policies...

Value my car