We bought a car on the understanding the cambelt had been changed but it has not - where do we stand?

I bought a car online on the understanding they would change the cambelt. I was told that the car had a new cambelt and water pump last year. When delivered by courier, we checked all the paperwork and found nothing. It cost £900 and the dealer says it is sold as seen.

Asked on 3 September 2019 by Garry hill

Despite the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 and a plethora of statutory and case law a dealer has limited liability over a car sold for £900: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/ However, if you specifically asked about the timing belt and waterpump and if he specifically told you that both had been replaced in 2018 and they have not been, you are entitled to your money back and can use Moneyclaim to sue for it, though even Moneyclaim is far from free: www.gov.uk/make-money-claim.

There's more here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-reject-a-car-your-cons.../