I was told my used car came with a full digital service history but now it seems that's not the case - what do I do?

I have recently part-exchanged a 30-month-old BMW X1, after one year of ownership, for a Jaguar E-Pace. I originally bought the car as an Approved Used BMW from a main dealer and was told that the service history was on the in-car computer. However, the Jaguar dealer has told me that no service history exists for the X1 at all. What recourse do I have against the BMW dealership and should I go straight to the Motor Ombudsman to adjudicate?

Give the BMW dealer the opportunity to sort this out with the Jaguar dealer, holding the threat against him of Small Claims action to recover any extra difference in price the Jaguar dealer is justifiably demanding. To show the court that you have given the BMW dealer an opportunity to make restitution, send a letter demanding this to the dealer principal of the supplying dealership. Send it by Post Office Special Delivery, keep a copy, and staple the certificate of posting to the copy so it becomes a ‘matter of record’ should you ever need it in the future.